Shift command messes up MIDI chord data…why?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
synergy543
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Shift command messes up MIDI chord data…why?

Post by synergy543 »

When I apply the shift command to my MIDI data, it messes up the chords but I can't figure out why.
:rtfm: Of course I did read the fine manual again :D , but something is still clearly wrong. :oops:

Anyone know what's going on?

Here's a 10s movie showing the problem. I'm trying to simply shift the chords 30 ticks earlier to sync better with the rhythm track.
http://talkstudiousa.com/shift.mov

Greg
Gregory D. Moore DP11.1, OSX 10.14.6 MacPro 2013 8-core, 64G RAM, too-many sample libraries, pencil, paper, coffee, and midnight oil.
FMiguelez

Re: Shift command messes up MIDI chord data…why?

Post by FMiguelez »

I had never seen that.
Does it make a difference if you make a time range selection, i.e., with the beam tool?

Does it work correctly if you use Shift to move the notes later?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Makes no sense. Try a restart (if you haven't already). Uncommon/Incorrect behavior in DP is often corrected by a restart.
DP10.13
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Sounds like that bizarre View Filter bug.

Copied from another dificult to follow tread:

"There are some new options on Setup>Set View Filter, notably - under Notes - "Normal", "Display Only", "Playback Only". I had to plow back through the manual (thank God for the manual) to find out what these new options were all about. They're *SUPPOSED* to be all about QuickScribe (and Quickscribe only?), but - at least on my system - *THEY* are the cause of "auto-copy". Here's the deal; you have to have "Normal" checked or you won't see any notes at all, but - with "Normal" checked - UnCheck *either* "Display Only", "Playback Only" or both, grab note(s) in any editing window except Quickscribe, drag that note(s) to a new location. If you've (unintentionally) copied the note(s), Undo, check *both* "Display Only" & "Playback Only" and try again. No copy made? That was my result."

The whole thread:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =auto+copy
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just for info purposes, it might be useful to see if there is something consistent about the notes that don't disappear and/or those that do. Their timing info (beat address), and velocity?

Not saying this isn't a bug. It clearly is.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com