EZ Drummer 2 coming soon

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: EZ Drummer 2 coming soon

Post by cbergm7210 »

EZD 2 is pretty slick after trying it out for an hour. As an avid user of SD2 one of the only complaints (if it is one) was looking through countless grooves to find the one you need. This improved feature in EZD 2 along with the Amount knob is worth the $99 for me, personally.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm sorely tempted right now. The thing that has me a little spooked is the bit about making sure it finds the directory for the drumkit directory. I have sample libraries on a separate drive. I remember Toontrack has some utility that you run to point it in the right place. So does this thing load the old EZ Drummer kits? Do you leave EZ drummer installed for old projects done with it?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

James Steele wrote:I'm sorely tempted right now. The thing that has me a little spooked is the bit about making sure it finds the directory for the drumkit directory. I have sample libraries on a separate drive. I remember Toontrack has some utility that you run to point it in the right place. So does this thing load the old EZ Drummer kits? Do you leave EZ drummer installed for old projects done with it?
James, I used the sample moving app that came with it with no issues. I had other libraries on another hard drive that I then copied into the EZ Drummer folder and it saw those with no problems, although it did ask me to authorize them again for some reason. Also, it installs over EZD 1 so there is only one version. (If I am understanding you correctly.)

Buy it, you'll like it! :)
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cbergm7210 wrote:Buy it, you'll like it! :)
I must... be... strong... :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

James Steele wrote:
cbergm7210 wrote:Buy it, you'll like it! :)
I must... be... strong... :)
I hear you, brother. :)

I'm just grateful arranging is catching up to samples. To sit and sift through hundreds of loops is like walking through mud compared to the rest of the process. Cheers to Toontrack for advancing this.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cbergm7210 wrote:I'm just grateful arranging is catching up to samples.
True enough. That part is worth as much or more sometimes than the sound quality. At least until MOTU gives us some sort of MIDI objects capability in DP, which I would definitely like to see.

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

James Steele wrote:I'm sorely tempted right now. The thing that has me a little spooked is the bit about making sure it finds the directory for the drumkit directory. I have sample libraries on a separate drive. I remember Toontrack has some utility that you run to point it in the right place. So does this thing load the old EZ Drummer kits? Do you leave EZ drummer installed for old projects done with it?
James - there is a sound mover utility for EZ Drummer 1 but according to the Toontrack website you don't need that for EZ Drummer 2 - it says this:
How do I move the sounds for EZDrummer 2

With EZdrummer 2 Moving the sounds for EZdrummer 2 and all of your installed EZX’s is, well… easy.

(please note: these instructions ONLY apply to EZdrummer 2, they do not apply to EZDrummer version 1)

Simply locate the EZdrummer folder and then drag and drop it to a new location of your choice.

****IMPORTANT NOTE*****

The contents of the EZdrummer folder should not be modified in any way. When moving the EZdrummer folder make sure to move the entire folder (i.e. do not move the contents of the folder). Altering the contents of the EZdrummer folder can cause EZdrummer 2 to stop working properly.

The EZdrummer folder contains all Sound library content for EZdrummer 1 and 2, as well as all EZX sound content and all drum MIDI files for both EZdrummer 1, 2, and Superior Drummer.

The EZdrummer folder is located by default in:

(MAC) MacHD/Library/Application Support/EZDrummer

When you then launch EZdrummer after the EZdrummer folder has been moved, EZdrummer will let you know that it can not find the Sound files. Simply click the Browse button and then navigate to where you moved the EZdrummer folder.

If you are an existing owner of EZDrummer version 1 and have decided to upgrade to version 2, please do not attempt to move the sounds for EZDrummer until after EZDrummer version 2 has been installed.
So that seems to answer that question. As for EZDrummer 1, that disappears when you install EZDrummer 2. You can copy your DrumKit Presets to the User Presets folder and I think they work when you re-load EZ Drummer 2 but I did not have a lot of presets in EZ Drummer as I upgraded to Superior pretty quickly so can't be sure if they work - EZ Drummer 2 seems to save everything as a User Preset. Having said that you can change kit pieces so easily.

As for MIDI Grooves - you can copy individual kit pieces such as Hi Hat's which I wasn't aware of - bit more difficult than Superior but not too bad. So all told its looking better and better. Sorry if that makes you even more tempted - the Tap 2 Find search facility is brilliant by the way.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I noticed on the website there are now upgrades available for many of my toontrack libraries, including EZ 1. I wonder if I should upgrade any of these, especially EZ 1, BEFORE installing EX 2?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
billf

Post by billf »

cbergm7210 wrote:I'm just grateful arranging is catching up to samples. To sit and sift through hundreds of loops is like walking through mud compared to the rest of the process. Cheers to Toontrack for advancing this.
A thousand times this!
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Curious, can you create a groove or an arrangement in EZDrummer2 and then use the MIDI file(s) with something else, like BFD? I realize you'd probably have to remap the notes, but just wondering if something like that is possible.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

bkshepard wrote:Curious, can you create a groove or an arrangement in EZDrummer2 and then use the MIDI file(s) with something else, like BFD? I realize you'd probably have to remap the notes, but just wondering if something like that is possible.
You bet.

bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

cbergm7210 wrote:
bkshepard wrote:Curious, can you create a groove or an arrangement in EZDrummer2 and then use the MIDI file(s) with something else, like BFD? I realize you'd probably have to remap the notes, but just wondering if something like that is possible.
You bet.
Cool, thanks! I really like the sounds and individual drum control of BFD, but that arranging function in EZDrummer2 looks really sweet!
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
dbender

Post by dbender »

I've read in a review that Tap 2 Find works only for "Toontrack MIDI" but am not sure from that exactly specifically just what that really means.

So .....

Can anyone confirm if Tap 2 Find works only for Toontrack's own MIDI drum loops, or, if it also works with:

(1) any ol' regular MIDI drum loop files that appear in the EZdrummer browser (because they've been appropriately installed in the correct folder to be so displayed in the EZdrummer browser), and/or

(2) 3d party MIDI drum loops made specifically for EZdrumer, I'm thinking here of the Groove Monkey MIDI drum loops that are specifically for EZdrums and get installed in the the correct folder to be so displayed in the EZdrummer browser.

And, also, can anyone confirm if the other cool editing stuff -- like e.g., Power Hand, Amount knob, velocity adjustment, etc. -- work with non-Toontrack MIDI drum loops?
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

I have EZ & Superior Drummer which I prefer the latter. I like EZ's new interface but I'm hoping that a SD interface update is not far behind!! So…I'm holding out for that LOL.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub