EZ Drummer 2 coming soon

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: EZ Drummer 2 coming soon

Post by toodamnhip »

billf wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:I wonder, though, what will happen to the flagship Superior Drummer 2? Will it also see such an overhaul, or will this be pretty much the new main app for Toontrack?
Who knows FM?

On their official forum they say that there are "there are no imminent plans for the next iteration of Superior, no." Given the amount of emails I've received from them about EZ2, I get the feeling we're being steered that direction.
In one of the early tutorial vids made for EZ 2, the guy mentioned SD is also being upgraded. It will be exciting to see. It shows how much we all need for drums doesn;t it? I have 4-5 drum programs, 7 or 8 piano programs, tons of string libraries, it never ends because there is so much individual human creation to emulate. When I am back in my studio tomorrow, I am sure I will see more comments, and I will tell you all of a slamming drum program I bought 5 yrs ago that still kicks ass over a lot of this stuff as far as sound...wow, we are all just drummer and piano and string addicts aren't we?..lol
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

I plunged ahead with updating everything in EZDrummer to EZDrummer2 last night, most everything going smoothly. I was impressed that with what must be incredible traffic that the website held up, if a little slow to access pages at times.

I also have Superior so found it interesting that Superior doesn't see the new core sound pack of EZDrummer 2. Likewise as some have mentioned I'm trying to figure out how to use Superior's MIDI in EZ2. There were updates for Superior and SDXs in my user account, but the ReadMe wanted me to put the first install disc of Superior Drummer in my DVD drive before trying to install the updates. It seemed to want to reinstall the whole library so I became confused and bailed. Tried to follow Mark's install posts but it's more than my early morning brain can handle.

As far as EZDrummer2, I love the look and navigation and new song assembly process, glad they included my favorite Superior features like subbing any drum in the library, and auditioning grooves at the original tempo.

But aside from trying to get all the files to see each other, one thing started nagging at me. Maybe it was just because it was late at night or whatever, but does EZDrummer SOUND the same?? I know there's all kinds of new mixer presets, whatever, but everything started sounding processed to me and the natural sounds didn't seem to jump out of the speakers like they used to. The Indie Folk pack, for example, always sounded deep and rich and ringy, and it seemed to sound thin to me last night. And the cymbals were a little harsher with an unnatural decay. I was always impressed by the fact that the different MIDI packs sounded good on a number of drumkits, but there were some instances last night where the cymbals were way loud on some kits, more anomalies than I remember.

I went back to Superior, played some files on the NY packs, and it just seemed to sound better and as I remember it.

Again, it might just be the late night tired ear syndrome, but I'll be curious if anybody else notices the same thing....definitely hope I'm wrong because I love the new interface functionality and vibe. No way to A/B with EZDrummer1 as it seems to be overwritten. You can't go home again. I've still got EZDrummer1 on my laptop and may hold off upgrading for a few days just in case.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Interesting. I'm going to hold off on doing anything to my Toontrack stuff until we hear from them one way or another about Superior, which I'm really hoping (and assuming) isn't dead but will be updated after the swell of EZ2 sales/support passes. Maybe I'm a tweak freak but I really like using 24bit depth samples, libraries with 10s of GBs of hits to access on render and as many mixer channels as needed. That level of flexibility shouldn't be allowed to die.
BobK

Post by BobK »

jloeb wrote:Interesting. I'm going to hold off on doing anything to my Toontrack stuff until we hear from them one way or another about Superior, which I'm really hoping (and assuming) isn't dead but will be updated after the swell of EZ2 sales/support passes. Maybe I'm a tweak freak but I really like using 24bit depth samples, libraries with 10s of GBs of hits to access on render and as many mixer channels as needed. That level of flexibility shouldn't be allowed to die.
+1
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:It can't read SDX files, but many are speculating Superior is dead. I don't believe that myself, but I can see how the money is in the after-sale, add-ons, etc., so maybe it's so. A direct comparison feature-for-feature would make it more clear, as I suspect there's still a lot of deep-editing missing from EZ2 even though it has way more features than EZ1.
Some of that speculation seems to be coming from users at the Toontrack forum complaining about some compatibility issues between EZ2 and SD2, and Toontrack not being very clear about things. I think it probably has more to do with Toontrack being overwhelmed by the EZ2 launch, and as the dust settles, we'll hear more about, or even see, some updates to Superior.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Rainman

Post by Rainman »

Well, the download for me went slow but everything showed up. Yes I spent a fair amount of time getting the latest and greatest EZX library updates but to me worth the time. Some of the new pre-sets are really good especially on the older type drum kits, love the sounds. Haven't mucked about with any of the FX but the way they shape the pre-sets is quite cool. LOVE the fact that you can swap out anything in the kit for something else!! I innocently
thought one could do this with the first iteration, not so, now you can and it's really good. The mixer is much more intuitive, like the new contextual menu system and the there are new knobs and dials that will keep you tweaking for a good while. Not sure how they can top this with Superior Drummer which I also own but … who knows. As a songwriter/arranger I'd use this app every song but far more than that, I'd use it on finished mixes any day.
DP 10.0, UA Apollo Two, UA Octo, far too many plugs.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Played around with it again today A/B-ing the EZ paks in EZ2 and Superior and there might be a slight difference in sound (played the same files with the same sounds) but it's pretty close. I found myself wondering if the increased resolution was revealing the limitations of the source material (like watching regular TV channels on HD), but certainly not enough to really quibble over. There is obviously infinitely more ways to shape a kit's sound in the new version.

The one thing I noted today was that when you hit a different MIDI groove it starts from the beginning of the file. Is there a way to alter this? I enjoyed 'playing' in a drum part by switching MIDI grooves/chorus/verse parts etc. on the fly in EZ1 and Superior drummer, got some nice unique 'jams' of drums that way. Not possible now, although I also like the drag and drop quickness (and repeatability) of the new song editor. At this point I can still do the drum jam thing in Superior, so it's nice having multiple approaches available.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Tobor wrote: I also have Superior so found it interesting that Superior doesn't see the new core sound pack of EZDrummer 2. Likewise as some have mentioned I'm trying to figure out how to use Superior's MIDI in EZ2. There were updates for Superior and SDXs in my user account, but the ReadMe wanted me to put the first install disc of Superior Drummer in my DVD drive before trying to install the updates.
I have a support request outstanding with Toontrack on this point - they responded intially to ask for screen shots of the failed authorisation of the EZ Drummer 2 Pop Rock EZX in Superior Drummer. They did not however say that the Pop Rock EZX won't work in Superior Drummer - so we have to assume it should. You can point Superior Drummer to Pop Rock EZX in that silver screen at the end which points to where the files are (the screen you usually only look at once and then forget!). Superior then sees Pop Rock drums but asks you to authorise it - which then failed for me and my account shows the EZX not authorised on my computer like the other EZX's - and when I tried it failed to authorise and suggested I contacted Toontrack support. My assumption is it should work with Superior and that they will solve this - so I will let you know when they respond.

You should be on Superior Drummer 2.3.2 and don't know of any updates after that.

I am puzzled that you cannot use Superior Drummer's MIDI in EZ Drummer 2 - certainly my Superior MIDI files work fine and EZ Drummer 2 sees them - but they are all in one folder. Maybe you need to move them to the same folder and just point Superior Drummer to that same folder?

One thing you can't do in EZ Drummer 2 is highlight the groove by individual kit piece and just audition that or drag that across to DP. I find this very useful in Superior Drummer - especially if I want just a hi hat or a tom fill. It also does not see my Superior kits such as AVATAR.

That said, EZ Drummer 2 is better for substituting drums from other EZX kits than Superior (where you have to use X-Drums which is okay but less intuitive). Also the browse and search functions are great - I tapped in a basic rhythm and up popped loads of grooves that matched it that I didn't know existed - this is going to be an awesome function. So all told I can see myself using both in tandem for some while - and providing the Pop Rock EZX issue is sorted out , Superior will still be a good option for me to use for much of what I do - and EZ Drummer 2 will be useful for the initial stages of composing, and then maybe the later stages of constructing the MIDI for a whole song. As the kits will largely be similar that I use and sound similar, switching between the two does not seem an issue either. I did not use EZ Drummer at all once I got Superior Drummer, but until Superior is updated, I can see me using both quite a lot.

I will keep you posted with any feedback from Toontrack as I imagine others will have the same issues.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
Tobor wrote: I also have Superior so found it interesting that Superior doesn't see the new core sound pack of EZDrummer 2. Likewise as some have mentioned I'm trying to figure out how to use Superior's MIDI in EZ2. There were updates for Superior and SDXs in my user account, but the ReadMe wanted me to put the first install disc of Superior Drummer in my DVD drive before trying to install the updates.
As an update - I just noticed on my Toontrack account that EZ Drummer 2 seems to have given my computer a different Computer ID code to that which I have for both Superior Drummer and EZ Drummer 1 . So then I went and tried to authorise Pop Rock EZX for my computer using this different Computer ID code - and hey presto it authorised Pop Rock EZX. I am not in my studio at the moment so can't test whether it will now allow Pop Rock EZX to be authorised for Superior Drummer - but my guess is that it will solve that. The strange thing is that some of my EZX's have the original Computer ID, and some this new one - so whether Toontrack have changed things or this somehow happened in the install process I can't be sure - I was sure that my other EZX's all had the old Computer ID. So maybe that will be the case for others - and that we will be able to use Pop Rock EZX properly with Superior.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Guitar Gaz wrote: I am puzzled that you cannot use Superior Drummer's MIDI in EZ Drummer 2 - certainly my Superior MIDI files work fine and EZ Drummer 2 sees them - but they are all in one folder. Maybe you need to move them to the same folder and just point Superior Drummer to that same folder?
I was mistaken about the MIDI files, I found the new EZ2 files under 'EZDrummer Libraries' and do have access to the Superior MIDI files in EZ2 as well. Still can't access the new EZ Drummer sounds in Superior (or Superior sounds in EZ2, but that's not a huge surprise).

I noticed references to the new Pop/Rock EZX but it's not featured on Toontrack's site yet with the other EZXs. Is it an EZX of the new EZDrummer2 library or unique content?
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Tobor wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote: I am puzzled that you cannot use Superior Drummer's MIDI in EZ Drummer 2 - certainly my Superior MIDI files work fine and EZ Drummer 2 sees them - but they are all in one folder. Maybe you need to move them to the same folder and just point Superior Drummer to that same folder?
I was mistaken about the MIDI files, I found the new EZ2 files under 'EZDrummer Libraries' and do have access to the Superior MIDI files in EZ2 as well. Still can't access the new EZ Drummer sounds in Superior (or Superior sounds in EZ2, but that's not a huge surprise).

I noticed references to the new Pop/Rock EZX but it's not featured on Toontrack's site yet with the other EZXs. Is it an EZX of the new EZDrummer2 library or unique content?
Just had a reply from Toontrack:

"We have heard back from our programmers. It will not be possible to authorize the Pop Rock EZX in Superior Drummer until the next Superior Drummer update is released (i.e. 2.4.0). This update will be released very soon... I don't have an exact date. Possibly some time next week."

So that is interesting - it sounds as if it is meant to work with Superior Drummer. The Pop Rock EZX replaces the EZ Drummer standard kit - but looks as if its meant to be a standalone EZX as well.
Gary Shepherd
billf

Post by billf »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Just had a reply from Toontrack:

"We have heard back from our programmers. It will not be possible to authorize the Pop Rock EZX in Superior Drummer until the next Superior Drummer update is released (i.e. 2.4.0). This update will be released very soon... I don't have an exact date. Possibly some time next week."

So that is interesting - it sounds as if it is meant to work with Superior Drummer. The Pop Rock EZX replaces the EZ Drummer standard kit - but looks as if its meant to be a standalone EZX as well.
That is excellent, thanks for the update.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Guitar Gaz wrote:"...the next Superior Drummer update is released (i.e. 2.4.0)... very soon... I don't have an exact date. Possibly some time next week."
Sweet. :headbang:
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

A further e-mail from Toontrack in response to my question about the Superior Drummer update and whether there will be an upgrade to Superior Drummer 3 at some point:
Yes, 2.4.0 will be a free update.

Please keep in mind that EZDrummer 2 was in development for 4 years… So Superior will also take a long time.
I can't see them dropping Superior Drummer due to investment in all the SDX's and the user base, but while it may take some time it seems that it is on the agenda for the future which is good news. I will use them both and this does not seem to be a problem.
Gary Shepherd
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Guitar Gaz wrote:I will use them both and this does not seem to be a problem.
Going back to my earlier question, since you use both of them, can you help me understand the differences? What kinds of things can you do in one that you can't do in the other? Thanks!
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6