EZ Drummer 2 coming soon

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

EZ Drummer 2 coming soon

Post by cbergm7210 »

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
FMiguelez

Re: EZ Drummer 2 coming soon

Post by FMiguelez »

I got the email too. It looks absolutely amazing!

I can see that lots of R&D hours went into this new product. Can't wait to try it.

I wonder, though, what will happen to the flagship Superior Drummer 2? Will it also see such an overhaul, or will this be pretty much the new main app for Toontrack?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

FMiguelez wrote:I got the email too. It looks absolutely amazing!

I can see that lots of R&D hours went into this new product. Can't wait to try it.

I wonder, though, what will happen to the flagship Superior Drummer 2? Will it also see such an overhaul, or will this be pretty much the new main app for Toontrack?
That's what I was wondering, FM. Some of those features would be useful incorporated into SD2.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I use Superior Drummer but am also upgrading to EZ Drummer 2 - some of the new features will no doubt pass on to an upgrade of Superior Drummer although much of the EZ Drummer 2 new features do make it an attractive replacement - for now.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It looks pretty cool. I can upgrade for $99. To me it's going to boil down to the sound of the kits available. I was never blown away by the kits for EZ Drummer "Classic." I do like the song construction features, etc. Frankly... it just occurred to me that they COULD take that section and split it off into a better EZ Player Pro maybe? I haven't used that in a while.
All in all, the song construction stuff looks good... it's just about the sounds.

Also coming soon is Addictive Drums 2, and in a lot of ways I preferred their kits, although they used non-standard MIDI mapping as I recall?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

James Steele wrote:It looks pretty cool. I can upgrade for $99. To me it's going to boil down to the sound of the kits available. I was never blown away by the kits for EZ Drummer "Classic." I do like the song construction features, etc. Frankly... it just occurred to me that they COULD take that section and split it off into a better EZ Player Pro maybe? I haven't used that in a while.
All in all, the song construction stuff looks good... it's just about the sounds.

Also coming soon is Addictive Drums 2, and in a lot of ways I preferred their kits, although they used non-standard MIDI mapping as I recall?
I have a few EZX's - the Drumkit From Hell and the new Rock! kits I think are very good - but the standard ones that are included are only adequate - but the EZX's make the difference but of course cost extra. And the Grooves are brilliant with so many options. One good thing about Superior Drummer is you can choose to use single kit pieces of a groove - I don't think this is possible in EZ Drummer 2. I do find that function very useful - just dragging say the Hi Hat across to DP of a groove.

I have used Addictive Drums and liked it although I am not sure the MIDI mapping is standard in EZ Drummer either. In terms of features EZ Drummer 2 now leaps past Addictive Drums and may replace Superior Drummer - unless of course they upgrade that too.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Guitar Gaz wrote:I have a few EZX's - the Drumkit From Hell and the new Rock! kits I think are very good - but the standard ones that are included are only adequate - but the EZX's make the difference but of course cost extra. And the Grooves are brilliant with so many options. One good thing about Superior Drummer is you can choose to use single kit pieces of a groove - I don't think this is possible in EZ Drummer 2. I do find that function very useful - just dragging say the Hi Hat across to DP of a groove.
Yeah... I have Superior Drummer as well. I just like a highly processed 80's type drum kit, etc. I should try some of those EZX's as the kits that came with EZ Drummer didn't thrill me to say the least.

I have used Addictive Drums and liked it although I am not sure the MIDI mapping is standard in EZ Drummer either. In terms of features EZ Drummer 2 now leaps past Addictive Drums and may replace Superior Drummer - unless of course they upgrade that too.
Yep... although there is an Addictive Drums 2 in the works so we'll see if XLN keeps up. I also have the Slate Drums as well and like that. I have the less expensive option. Also, waiting in the wings is DrumCore4 which is coming soon. I really liked DrumCore3... especially the GP Sparkle kits.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

I find EZdrummer is very handy at helping to find drum grooves, patterns, fills, etc. and creating your tracks.

But, I too, am not in love with the sounds.

I end up using other drum software for finishing things off. You might have to mess around with a little bit of note mapping depending on what MIDI library you're working with, and I like to use some GrooveMonkee files that can also be used with EZdrummer.

Listen to EZdrummer, then go out to hear a real band with a real drummer just to confirm what real drums are supposed to sound like.

But, it is a very handy piece of software and a fantastic deal.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

already purchased
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

James Steele wrote: Yeah... I have Superior Drummer as well. I just like a highly processed 80's type drum kit, etc. I should try some of those EZX's as the kits that came with EZ Drummer didn't thrill me to say the least.
James, you really should jump on the Metal Machine and Rock Solid EZXs, think you'd love the kits, especially the kicks and snares of the MM and toms of Rock Solid. I'm not a metal guy, but I also really like Metal Beats MIDI ezx and Drum Riffs. Some sick stuff but the simpler beats have great attitude and you could build some nice tracks off them.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

The EZX's have something for everyone - I am sure that the 80's processed sound can be found in one of them - Rock! for example has an 80's rock kit with presets for heavy compression - but the Metal and Rock Solid have some ggod ones too. And with EZ Drummer 2 it will be easier to use drums from different kits mixed and matched - Superior Drummer was fiddly with X drums doing the same. I think there are also more processing options so would be surprised if you could not make something that fits your preference.
Gary Shepherd
billf

Post by billf »

FMiguelez wrote:I wonder, though, what will happen to the flagship Superior Drummer 2? Will it also see such an overhaul, or will this be pretty much the new main app for Toontrack?
Who knows FM?

On their official forum they say that there are "there are no imminent plans for the next iteration of Superior, no." Given the amount of emails I've received from them about EZ2, I get the feeling we're being steered that direction.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

That does look like we're being stirred to that direction. How Apple of them! :mrgreen:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I've had EZDrummer and numerous EZXs for years, but finally broke down and picked up Superior 2 a few weeks ago, mainly because I wanted to be able to mix and match snares, toms, etc. from different kits. Now here comes EZDrummer 2, with that very feature I've wanted all these years (and more)! Oh well, now I guess I've got to buy that too!

I actually like the basic EZDrummer kit, and ended up using it a lot, even though I have many expansions. It just seems to fit in a mix most of the time. But BFD 2's stock kits definitely offered more (particularly liked the Bonham Vistalite and the Ringo kits). Haven't tried BFD 3 yet. Another thing I guess I'll have to have! :mrgreen:

I agree with James, that the bottomline is the quality of the kits. Don't know about EZD 2 yet, but up till now, the EZXs were essential, if you really wanted to get the full EZDrummer experience.

Babz
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

I've been using other kits like BFD, but haven't used either EZDrummer or SuperiorDrummer. Can someone help me understand the differences between the EZD-2 version and SD-2? I just got a video from Sweetwater that shows off all the cool features of EZD-2 and am wondering how that compares to SD-2. It looks like SD-2 has more kit piece options, but does it also have all the song-building and groove functions that EZD-2 has? Thanks so much for any insight!
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6