Beat Detective, moving a single beat?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Beat Detective, moving a single beat?

Post by Robert Randolph »

Hello! I'm currently demoing DP8 and I've hit somewhat of a snag in adopting a new workflow with it.

I would like to move a beat, and the attached 'sound' manually. I understand how to quantize to a value and move the beat marker itself, however I would like manual control over moving a portion of audio in time.

The specific scenario I have for this is editing a snare track. The song is very laid back reggae. In one section the snare hits are naturally late, but there are a few that are on time or ahead of the beat. I would like to manually adjust these to be 'behind the beat' similar to the rest of the song.
David Polich

Re: Beat Detective, moving a single beat?

Post by David Polich »

Open the sequence editor for the snare drum track. Zoom in so you can see more "real estate"
in the view. Click and drag over a range before and after each snare hit you want to adjust,
so the snare hit itself is in the middle of that selected range. Then use Command+L keys to
bring up the "Shift" window and shift the selected segment earlier or later as you desire.

Beat "Detective" (it's not called "Beat Detective" in DP, btw) is not involved in this case.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

David Polich wrote:Open the sequence editor for the snare drum track. Zoom in so you can see more "real estate"
in the view. Click and drag over a range before and after each snare hit you want to adjust,
so the snare hit itself is in the middle of that selected range. Then use Command+L keys to
bring up the "Shift" window and shift the selected segment earlier or later as you desire.
It does appear that I was making that process more complex than necessary. Thank you, that works as needed.
Beat "Detective" (it's not called "Beat Detective" in DP, btw) is not involved in this case.
Thank you for the correction.

I understand that there maybe another workflow for the same result, but out of curiosity, is it possible to do the procedure using the same processing as the quantize "Beats within Soundbites" function? In PT I'm used to being able to simply click/drag a beat marker and move it, and the 'attached' audio, where I want it.
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
Add info, Sometimes you have to select, separate and move all your drum tracks together. Otherwise the close mic will move but the snare in the overheads or bleed to open mics will still be out of time. Edit group works great for this.

Elastic audio has not made it's way to DP.......................
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness