How to change DP's default project folder?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MDesigner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to change DP's default project folder?

Post by MDesigner »

By default it keeps wanting to put my projects in "Documents." How do I change this? I looked under the preferences but didn't see anything relevant.
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
FMiguelez

Re: How to change DP's default project folder?

Post by FMiguelez »

It will place the DP document wherever it was created originally.

If you want your DP projects always in place x, put your template in x and start new projects from there (i.e., by duplicating the entire template's folder for each new project). Applescripts, or even Automator workflows, work beautifully for automating this.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Thanks. I suppose I can just add a shortcut to my DP Projects folder in the sidebar and use that.
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
bdr

Post by bdr »

If you want to have great control over where all your apps head to when saving, have a look at Default Folder. You can set a defUlt folder for every app, as well as have easy access to favourite and recent folders. Probably the piece of software I've used the most over10 years.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Are you talking about an application called "Default Folder X" ?

At a glance it appears to cost $35. Seems like kind of a lot, since the sidebar can make a default folder a click away. And smart folders add some of that functionality. I have a Sidebar Item which is a folder called "DP Projects"

And most of my apps seem to remember where I last saved.

Are there other features that make you use this software so often?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

stubbsonic wrote:Are you talking about an application called "Default Folder X" ?

At a glance it appears to cost $35. Seems like kind of a lot, since the sidebar can make a default folder a click away. And smart folders add some of that functionality. I have a Sidebar Item which is a folder called "DP Projects"

And most of my apps seem to remember where I last saved.

Are there other features that make you use this software so often?

Default Folder X probably saves me a hundred keystrokes a day or more by it's deep enhancements to the Save As… dialog box. I've been using it since OS 8 (it's similar to a program from back in the days of 7 called Boomerang) and I've only had to pay an upgrade price once in all that time. Very responsive author (http://stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/) and a 30 day free trial.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I watched the little demo video. Does look like a clever and useful app. I especially agree that those tasks that come up during Open & Save dialogs (like deleting & renaming) would be nice to be able to do in that setting. Looks like a bunch of features that should have been baked into the OS cake. Hmmm. But $35?? Hmmmm.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I guess I just can't see how a couple flip-downs is worth $35 to get rid of..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bdr

Post by bdr »

We're getting so used to app store cheapie pricing that now $35 seems expensive. I agree with Gary, it has saved me untold keystrokes and time over the years. To hit save on any app and be taken directly to the folder you want to save to without hassles, or having your favourite folders easily accessible...it's worth it for me.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

The one feature I use most often is clicking over a hidden open Finder window and being taken directly there. Having your recent folder history in the Finder menu is also invaluable.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
frankf

Post by frankf »

I've been using DF for so long, I really can't get along without it. If you have projects, samples, patches, audio files spread across multiple drives, it's invaluable. Scrolling in the sidebar in save dialogs cannot compare. $35 for such a workflow enhancer is nothing when on a deadline.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB