Auto-Tune Remix with DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Auto-Tune Remix with DP?

Post by Babz »

You have probably seen these "autotune remix" type of videos on YouTube.

Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLO7tCdBVrA

They take someone talking, like a news report or something, and they turn it into a melody.

I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to do something like this with DP.

Does anyone out there know anything about how to do this sort of thing?

I am not finding a lot of tutorials online. The best thing I've found so far shows how to do it with Cubase, using a built-in Cubase Pitch plug-in.  It allows you to set MIDI input to the plugin and to play notes on the keyboard to create the melodies for the track.

Here is that tutorial video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAor1Epl-HE

My question is: Do you know if anything like this is possible in DP?  I imagine I would need to get some third party plugin. Does Antares Auto-Tune allow you to do this? Does it have a MIDI input feature?  Does DP support MIDI note input to a plugin?

Have never used Antares Auto-Tune. Is there a free or cheaper option? I thought about doing the trial version of Auto-Tune, but it requires in iLok.

Thanks for any ideas or help. I know, this is a weird one.

Best,
Babz
leigh
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Auto-Tune Remix with DP?

Post by leigh »

For the last year I've been thinking about a piece in the style of Steve Reich's "Different Trains" so I'd be very interested in learning how to do this in DP. I made some tests but was frustrated.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

The Antares site mentions that only some hosts support the "Target Notes Via MIDI" function -- which is what I need. Based on what I've been able to determine, I'm fairly sure DP *is* a host that supports this, but it would be nice to hear from a DP user who has actually used that function.

As far as I know, DP's built-in pitch manipulation only works with "pitched" material. Unfortunately, it has to detect pitch in the audio, so it is pretty limited -- only melodic material, only monophonic material. It would be nice it they would expand it so that you could add pitch effects to any audio. (For example, I'd love to be able to just draw in tape stop pitch dives, etc., like you can in other DAWs.) If the material you are working with does happen to be melodic and monophonic, some things are possible, but what I'm trying to do here would be pretty tedious having to work exclusively with the mouse and no MIDI keyboard involved.

I have continued to research this, and apparently a lot of these videos are done by a guy named John Boswell (who works under various handles, usually "Melodysheep"). I found a few interviews with him where he is asked about what software he uses, and he mentions Reason for creating the music, and Adobe Audition for editing the video, but unfortunately nothing about exactly what software he uses for pitch, or how he uses it.

So far it seems like actual Anatares Auto-Tune 7 will do what I need, but that's a bit of a budget challenge currently. They make a cheaper junior product Auto-Tune EFX, and it does 90% of what most people need for auto tune effects, but not the MIDI input thing, unfortunately.

After my last experience, I swore NO MORE REMIXES, but it's hard to resist once you get stuck on something ... You can hear it in your head and then you get obsessed with seeing if it is technically possible. Hopefully I'll come to my senses at some point ... :mrgreen:

Best,
Babz
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

I downloaded the latest version update yesterday and saw the following in the AU release notes (the VST libraries are VST3 only). I have no idea if any of this affects what you are trying to do - the second part, perhaps?

NO AUTOMATION IN DIGITAL PERFORMER
Automation is not available in Digital Performer.

LOOPING IN DIGITAL PERFORMER
Editing or correcting pitch in Graphical Mode while a region is looping in Digital Performer will result in the audio and correction data getting out of sync. Don't do that.

DO NOT USE OFFLINE PROCESSING IN DIGITAL PERFORMER
This release does not support offline processing in Digital Performer. Attempting to use offline processing can result in a crash. Don't do it.

I think that some of this worked in the previous version of A-T that was 32bit only.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro