Punch Guard Works With Freezing Tracks, Too!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Punch Guard Works With Freezing Tracks, Too!

Post by buzzsmith »

Maybe I'm late to the party, but yesterday I was rendering many tracks and, even though I'm careful to set the ranges, I noticed that I had inadvertently cut off the 4 string tracks just a little bit too early. Missed the releases.

Without really thinking, I grabbed the end of one and pulled rightward and, to my surprise, it revealed an extra second or so of the freeze which was plenty to accommodate the finish.

Pretty cool!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Punch Guard Works With Freezing Tracks, Too!

Post by Babz »

It is cool, if that's what you need. But Punch Guard has also created unintended problems for users, like if you are creating stems to send out to someone else for mixing. This extra preroll audio at the beginning can create problems and confusion for someone trying to line up all tracks at the beginning of the sequence in another DAW.

There is a Punch Guard preference setting to avoid this. Under Preferences -> Play and Record -> Audio Options, there is a Punch Guard setting. By default it is set to "Always record pre-roll". This is what has led to problems for some users freezing tracks to create stems.

If you don't want pre-roll when freezing, change this setting to: "Only record pre-roll when punching in". This means that it will only record pre-roll when you are actually doing manual or automatic punch in recording on the fly, and will prevent the unwanted pre-roll audio when freezing tracks. In Buzzy's case the extra audio turned out to be a good thing. But not knowing it is there is more likely to cause problems.

Just a tip which could save you confusion some day!

Best,
Babz
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Good point, Babz.

Whenever I trade files I always merge/consolidate starting at my 0:00:00.

So, I don't think that there is any preroll.

Guess I need to check that.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Babz wrote:It is cool, if that's what you need. But Punch Guard has also created unintended problems for users, like if you are creating stems to send out to someone else for mixing. This extra preroll audio at the beginning can create problems and confusion for someone trying to line up all tracks at the beginning of the sequence in another DAW.

There is a Punch Guard preference setting to avoid this. Under Preferences -> Play and Record -> Audio Options, there is a Punch Guard setting. By default it is set to "Always record pre-roll". This is what has led to problems for some users freezing tracks to create stems.

If you don't want pre-roll when freezing, change this setting to: "Only record pre-roll when punching in". This means that it will only record pre-roll when you are actually doing manual or automatic punch in recording on the fly, and will prevent the unwanted pre-roll audio when freezing tracks. In Buzzy's case the extra audio turned out to be a good thing. But not knowing it is there is more likely to cause problems.

Just a tip which could save you confusion some day!

Best,
Babz
And even without Punch Guard on (or set to zero pre/post), Freeze always adds a little something extra on the end of the soundbite (107, 157 ticks). You can see it when you expand the soundbite. :banghead: Of course, this isn't as critical as the start of the soundbite, but it still bugs me. I need things to be precise. So if you Freeze, merge after.

Bouncing and Merge work fine.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Wow. This is all great information, most of which I did not know. Thanks all.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Dan Worley wrote:And even without Punch Guard on (or set to zero pre/post), Freeze always adds a little something extra on the end of the soundbite (107, 157 ticks).
Isn't that there to make sure any tails from plugins are not cut off?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

bayswater wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:And even without Punch Guard on (or set to zero pre/post), Freeze always adds a little something extra on the end of the soundbite (107, 157 ticks).
I don't know. I doubt it. I hope not. It wouldn't make sense to me. I don't see any reason for it. Why would you need 117 ticks for a tail? A tail of what? How would DP know how long or short the tail was supposed to be? What if you selected a measure of silence at the end, why would it add to that? :?

No, my feeling is Freeze is just imprecise right now. You can do the same Freeze four different times and you can get four different results. One time it will add 117 ticks, the next time 147, or 101 or 155. It's anarchy. :shock:

Sometimes you can get the same results choosing Freeze from the menu, but a different result by using the key command. :mumble:

I thought maybe since the key command uses the Control key, and it toggles the Grid on/off, that maybe the grid had something to do with all this. But I can't make any sense out of the numbers, they seem arbitrary, as far as I can tell.

The main thing (for me) is that I want DP to be precise, all the time.

Damn-it. :wink:

Good thing this is at the end of the soundbite and not the beginning, and if anyone is bothered by it (like me), merging gets rid of the extra.
DP10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Dan Worley wrote:
bayswater wrote:
I don't know. I doubt it. I hope not. It wouldn't make sense to me. I don't see any reason for it. Why would you need 117 ticks for a tail? A tail of what? How would DP know how long or short the tail was supposed to be? What if you selected a measure of silence at the end, why would it add to that? :?

No, my feeling is Freeze is just imprecise right now. You can do the same Freeze four different times and you can get four different results. One time it will add 117 ticks, the next time 147, or 101 or 155. It's anarchy. :shock:
You're probably right. I supposed the differences would represent the time it takes for the wet signal from plugins to go to zero. But if you get it when you freeze or bounce silence, then it makes no sense, and is anarchy.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Just to be clear, merging and bouncing work perfectly in regards to this. It's only Freeze that has this inconsistency, and it really isn't a big deal (unless you have to deliver spot-on durations and use the Freeze file), just imperfect.
DP10.13