Does a playlist/arrange track feature exist in DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Does a playlist/arrange track feature exist in DP?

Post by Dan Worley »

flutemaker wrote:somehow, I fell as though my communication skills are lacking in this discussion, so here is an example of how I use this function:

Just in the spirit of attempting to clarify my post:

Order of chunks: A B C D E F

Engage "chain Chunks" and hit spacebar.. Now the chunks will play sequentially through from A to F and automatically restart the cue when F has completed.

While B is playing, use the keyboard command associated with D; now, when B finishes playing, D will be the next chunk played. The cue order remains unchanged, but your position in the cue has been moved to D. If no further action is taken, the cue will continue on, in order, from D to E to F and back to the beginning.

There are a few caveats:
1~each chunk (sequence) must have a defined start and end, and memory play must be engaged on each one.
2~if VI's are employed on any chunk, then they must be in a V rack for seamless play.
3~the keystrokes are not cumulative; i.e: only one choice is retained at a time.

This method allows you to change the order of the chunks being played without error.

Sorry to beat this horse. Hope this is a better explanation form my end....
No, no dead horse here. I needed the added explanation. I will try this after my sessions today. I couldn't get it to work that way last night. Whenever I hit the key, it switched chunks immediately. It didn't wait for the end of the chunk that was playing.

Thank you.
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:Oh, I see, that's for switching chunks, not for rearranging their order.

I still don't see a way of rearranging the order of the chunks while DP is playing without getting a glitch in the audio. I don't think it's possible.

So, for example, while Chunk-A is playing, move Chunk-D to Chunk-B's position so that when Chunk-A ends Chunk-D will play.

Please forgive me if I'm just not getting it.
What he means is that with the MIDI keystrokes, you don't need to switch the order. Just hit the key of the one you want to play next, and it immediately starts playing that one.
Immediately switching is what's happening here, but that's not what I'm asking for.

Will try later. I may have just got it wrong last night.

Thanks.
DP10.13
flutemaker

Post by flutemaker »

This is definitely not an immediate change to the next chunk when done as I described it..
MacBook Pro (2011) 2.3 GHz quad i7, 16G ram, all drives Solid State
latest mac OS
Neve 511 (2), Lynx Hilo A/D D/A,
flutemaker

Post by flutemaker »

Just a thought; if "chain chunks" is not engaged, then the change would be immediate....
latest mac OS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

flutemaker wrote:This is definitely not an immediate change to the next chunk when done as I described it..
Almost got it working. Almost.

What's happening now is, when I use the key command to cue the next chunk, it will switch to that chuck after the current chunk reaches its end (Yay!), but it starts playing the new chunk from its end time and not its start time (Boo!). Obviously that's not what we want.

I'm going to restart and try again after I walk the dogs.

Thanks!
DP10.13
flutemaker

Post by flutemaker »

Just enable memory play on each of your tracks, and they will start correctly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
latest mac OS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

flutemaker wrote:Just enable memory play on each of your tracks, and they will start correctly
Ah, so Auto Rewind needs to be turned on. Okay, that did it! Good job! It works! Now I need to mess with it a bit to see how useful it is.

Thanks! I appreciate your help and patience.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ok, Flutemaker, you're articulate and meticulous, so do me a favor and write up a summary of this for the DP Tips Sheet. It needs to be detailed, but concise, and clear enough for a beginner to follow all the steps without trouble. Don't worry; I'll edit it to fit the format of the Tips Sheet, and I'll fill in anything that I think is missing, or delete anything that doesn't seem necessary, but most likely I'll just use what you write. (I edit all the tips when I add them to the tips sheet)

Thanks,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
flutemaker

Post by flutemaker »

Sure..post it here?
latest mac OS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

flutemaker wrote:Sure..post it here?
Post it or send it to me in PM. Either way. Normally I'd just summarize it and credit you, but I'm kind of busy at the moment. And of course, if you're too busy, there is no deadline.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Ok, turns out what I actually need to do is more complicated, and after looking through the manual at the section on Songs, I'm not sure if it's doable.

I have a main sequence, we'll call it Main. It's a whole piece of music. Then I have smaller sequences which are different endings for the Main sequence, we'll call them ZA, ZB, ZC, ZD, etc. What I'd need to do is set up markers in Main so that I can set up a song where Main will play through several measures, and when it hits a marker labeled "G" for example, it skips to the sequence ZG.

To explain in terms of how Cubase's arranger track works:

In Cubase, in a single sequence, I can define sections of a piece: A, B, C, D, E, F. They can consist of any number of measures each. And in the arranger track view, I can define a playlist order, e.g.:

A
B
C
G
Z

and it will play those parts in that order. But in DP it wouldn't work for me to have these all as separate sequences. I just need "exit points" out of the main sequence where it can jump to another sequence. In Cubase, this is basically just saying "jump to bar 2 and play, now jump to bar 8 and play."

Is this possible?
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

No. You can't do that in DP, at least not to my knowledge.

There used to be a trick that allowed you to do that. Using Memory Cycle (Keypad "Minus" Key) you just set the endpoint before the starting point, and when it reached the "end," it would jump to the start, even if the "start" happened later.

I think that was removed in version 6, though it may have been earlier. In any case, it no longer works like that.

Shooshie
MDesigner

Post by MDesigner »

Didn't think so but I thought I'd ask anyway! Thanks. :)
Sam Hulick
Composer
http://samhulick.com
Social Media: [ Twitter | Facebook ]