Change Default Zoom levels

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Change Default Zoom levels

Post by swpowe »

Is there a way to change the default zoom levels? Specifically in the MIDI view? Zooming and moving around are still two of the most difficult things I've found when trying to adjust from life in Logic. I'm trying to get a handle on the shortcut keys but it still takes me forever to move around zooming in and out and scrolling. :banghead:
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Change Default Zoom levels

Post by frankf »

DP allows 3 custom zoom settings. Search in Commands window for Set Zoom.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

... And there are LOTS of shortcuts for zooming...

Use Shift-L to open the shortcuts window. You can search for them and program them to anything you like.

A few shortcuts:
Command/arrows (up, down, left, right): This zooms in/out one level horizontally or vertically.

If you add option to any combination from above, it zooms all the way in/out.

There's also a shortcut for zooming to the selection.

Those are just some of the most useful ones...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Don't forget Scrolling on the traveling "Wiper." That zooms horizontally and is a fast way of getting where you want to be, zoom-wise.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I agree though that it would be really nice if there was a way to set up the initial zoom setting for a newly opened window.- without having to type a bunch of key commands.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bdr

Post by bdr »

Yeah, there used to be a great command in Studio Vision Pro (RIP) called something like 'set default position' where you could get the window looking how you'd like it to open up and then save that as a default.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
frankf

Post by frankf »

bdr wrote:Yeah, there used to be a great command in Studio Vision Pro (RIP) called something like 'set default position' where you could get the window looking how you'd like it to open up and then save that as a default.
Window Sets?

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I hate to harp on one of my pet subjects, but this is one reason why I always set my files up with full-screen windows in separate spaces. Once you set them up for a given sequence, they always are there, and always with the resolution and view at which I left them. Here's a link to a tutorial of sorts. Toward the bottom of that post is a link to a YouTube video that probably explains it better.

The guy who made the movie left out one key step: the Control Panel must be set to float if you use Spaces for various windows. That way, when you switch to any space with a DP window in it, the Control Panel will follow you.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

I KNEW you were going to jump in Shooshie :)

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If there was a QuicKeys macro that would go and open the Graphic Editor windows for each individual track and set the zoom and window size & position to the desired spot (NOT RIGHT OVER THE TRANSPORT CONTROLS!) then surely MOTU could just as easily have a way of remembering where and how I like them.

Workarounds are appreciated, but this is one for the suggestion box.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:I KNEW you were going to jump in Shooshie :)

Frank Ferrucci
:lol: Yeah, me and that dumb guy who made the movie.

Shooshie
bolla

Post by bolla »

The other option would be to set up your own template files with everything as you like it.
Don't use DPs "new from template".
For each new project you copy your template file, rename and go from there.
Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a good point.

Though if I set all that up, it probably won't affect new tracks or "add similar" tracks that I create. Not sure though.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bolla wrote:The other option would be to set up your own template files with everything as you like it.
Don't use DPs "new from template".
For each new project you copy your template file, rename and go from there.
Cheers, Bolla
Or use the Get Info dialog to make it a Stationary file so that it cannot be overwritten.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8