Doubled MIDI events

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Doubled MIDI events

Post by Prime Mover »

The other day I recorded some keyboard parts... granted, nothing particularly major (mockup stuff). Unfortunately, I had an echo in my system caused by a second program that was feeding the events back through the IAC bus. So for every note event, I ended up with two events, on the same track! When fed into a synth (like Kontakt), it's actually playing two versions of the same note at once... and due to round robin, I'm getting some bizarre phasing.

I doubt there is, but has anyone ever come up with a strategy of easily removing simultaneous, duplicate MIDI events from a part? It's a 6 minute tune, so it's A LOT of notes. At this point, since it's just a low quality mockup, I'm not afraid to just leave it as is for the moment if there is no way of removing duplicates.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
philbrown

Re: Doubled MIDI events

Post by philbrown »

Region > MIDI effects plug-ins > remove duplicates

Never used it myself, but that's my best guess.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Crap... so close. Turns out the remove duplicates requires events to be 100% identical (there's no threshold or similarity control). Because it was being echoed through the system, there's like a millisecond difference between events, and RD won't pick up on it.

sad face :(
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I first thought of deflam but that's not quite what you want either. Split notes? I'm randomly throwing darts at the board at this point.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

Can you quantize the track and then remove the duplicates? Make a copy before you quantize
and then shift the notes back to where they were? Just a thought.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Aha! So, I found a way, but it only works as an insert plugin. If I put a "DeFlam" plugin before the "remove duplicates" it aligns notes that occur within a few ticks, and then removes them. For some reason there's no destructive DeFlam plug, so I can't actually go and delete the notes, but I can effectively cancel them out in real time, and that's just fine for me.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Prime Mover wrote:Aha! So, I found a way, but it only works as an insert plugin. If I put a "DeFlam" plugin before the "remove duplicates" it aligns notes that occur within a few ticks, and then removes them. For some reason there's no destructive DeFlam plug, so I can't actually go and delete the notes, but I can effectively cancel them out in real time, and that's just fine for me.
Phil had it right. Use Deflam, then delete Duplicates. But use the Deflam command, not the plugin.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8