Selecting the "other" option in DP's confirmation boxes

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Selecting the "other" option in DP's confirmation boxes

Post by FMiguelez »

stubbsonic wrote:
The other thing is I'm a little concerned that I'll end up cutting in to my available key-combos for QuicKeys which I am expecting I'll use more and more.
Yeah, I've had system and DP conflicts before. For instance, I use Command-L a LOT for changing keyboard languages from english to spanish. But it did conflict, so I changed it in the System Preferences to something new (it took me a while to figure easy and unused commands!!).

As for QKs, my way to easily avoid conflicts with it, was to sacrifice the numbers above the letters as the "call to" QK. So all my QK-related stuff begins with a number (according to category).
I always use the keypad numbers for DP anyway (much faster). The only disadvantage is that, when I'm in DP, and I try to use the regular numbers for entering something like a name, I either, get some shortcut or no typing occurs for that position.

Given how important QS is to me, that's an insignificant price to pay.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:As for QKs, my way to easily avoid conflicts with it, was to sacrifice the numbers above the letters as the "call to" QK. So all my QK-related stuff begins with a number (according to category).
I always use the keypad numbers for DP anyway (much faster). The only disadvantage is that, when I'm in DP, and I try to use the regular numbers for entering something like a name, I either, get some shortcut or no typing occurs for that position.

My QuicKeys routines these days usually start with a sticky trigger. That is, they all start with something like CONTROL-OPTION-COMMAND-C, after which I type another command for the actual trigger. I have about three 1st triggers for QK, which gives me all the possible keyboard commands x 3. That's a lot of commands! And of course, you can keep adding triggers or steal a few more initial triggers for what's virtually an infinite number of possible QK commands. The one-trigger commands are all reserved for DP, except for those 3 or 4 initial QK triggers.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, Shooshie. That is helpful!

BTW, it should be noted that often typing COMMAND+ the first letter of the "other" button will often work (at least in other apps).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com