Selecting the "other" option in DP's confirmation boxes

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tripi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Selecting the "other" option in DP's confirmation boxes

Post by Tripi »

Does anyone know if there is a simple way to choose the other option when DP says something like, "Some of the timestamps are before the sequence.......", and then it gives you a CANCEL button which is already selected in blue, and an OK button. If you just hit enter, it chooses cancel obviously. Isn't there some sort of key command to choose the OK option? I like to work fast and avoid mousing around whenever possible. This has been getting under my skin this morning!

thanks!
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Dan Worley

Re: Selecting the "other" option in DP's confirmation boxes

Post by Dan Worley »

I don't know. Have you tried the Tab key or (Shift Tab) or the Arrow keys? Those are the only ones I think would have a chance.
DP10.13
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Hey Tripi. It used to work before maybe DP8. We used to use 'command O' to OK the flush undo history all the time. But the whole OSX OK tab etc inside DP got broken sometime ago. It won't work on any of our rigs now, regardless of OSX version.

Anyone know how to bring it back to life???
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Spacebar is Apple's way of selecting an outlined option that is not the highlighted option. I don't think that works much in DP, if at all. I just tried it for quitting, when it asks if you want to save, and it didn't work.

Nor did the first letter (D for Don't Save), which I'm pretty sure USED to work.

"Escape" still cancels, thank goodness. It might be a good thing if we asked MOTU to bring back Apple functionality in dialogs. (Spacebar for bold-outlined 2nd options)
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

If by chance they changed things to be consistent with the PC in their cross platform effort, try using the option key with the first letter in the dialog - i.e. option O for OK. In DP on the PC you can use the alt plus letter combo to respond in dialog boxes. I don't have my Mac handy to try.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Spacebar is already toggling play/pause in DP. Could be confusing while in action.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
labman

Post by labman »

NazRat said: "i.e. option O for OK"

Thats the type of thing that is now broken. boohoo
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

COMMAND-D still works for "Don't Save" in DP8 (but not in other Mac OS applications).

Funnily enough, Apple decided that COMMAND-D would now jump you to the desktop folder when saving. And COMMAND-DELETE must now be used for "Don't Save". My only gripe with that is that I have to take my RH off the mouse or move my LH over to the right side of the keyboard to execute it. Not a big deal.

It would have been good if Apple had created an OS-wide convention for keyboard execution of multiple button choices in a pop-up dialog. I may send a feedback suggestion.

Having TAB basically move which button is highlighted, and return execute the highlighted button seems intuitive enough. Alternatively, even having a simple number before each button and then using OPTION-# to execute would also work.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Maybe in a world where touch screen apps are taking over this doesn't matter much. But, I'm a big fan of speeding up my workflow wherever possible. I hate the OS or DP questioning my decisions. :)
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I still don't get it... This is supposed to be a system-wide shortcut, yes?

So when you have system dialogs involving 3 choices, you Ok (or whatever it's highlighted) with Enter, you cancel with Esc, and you choose the 3rd option with... what?

I'd really like to know this shortcut as well...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Maybe the reason that things have changed is because Apple has given us new ways to do these things. If you check the System Preferences/Keyboard/Shortcuts/ you will see at the bottom, "Full Keyboard Access" where you can set it to accept a Tab to move the keyboard focus between either text boxes and lists, or all controls (depending on your settings).

There are other accessibility functions, too, but I won't try to describe them all here.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tab was the standard key for moving between fields in a dialog box when there were more than two. But thinking back to V5, DP was never the most compliant with Apple conventions.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Shooshie, as usual, you have the answer.

Open preferences, choose KEYBOARD, then KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS. At the bottom is Full Keyboard Access option. Change it to ALL CONTROLS. Now the tab button will select the "other option", and then space confirms. Works just fine in DP8.

Nice :)
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:Maybe the reason that things have changed is because Apple has given us new ways to do these things. If you check the System Preferences/Keyboard/Shortcuts/ you will see at the bottom, "Full Keyboard Access" where you can set it to accept a Tab to move the keyboard focus between either text boxes and lists, or all controls (depending on your settings).

There are other accessibility functions, too, but I won't try to describe them all here.

Shoosh
Ah! Excellent! Thank you!
DP10.13
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Is this where it gets messy? I.e., if you turn on those system short-cuts, do you then end up having some conflicts with DP's commands?

The other thing is I'm a little concerned that I'll end up cutting in to my available key-combos for QuicKeys which I am expecting I'll use more and more.

:?:
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com