2 mono BWAV to interleaved stereo, how ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Klaus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2 mono BWAV to interleaved stereo, how ?

Post by Klaus »

DP 7.24, OS 10.6.8
How to combine the 2 mono to 1 interleaved stereo BWAV ?

Thanks in advance... need it .... now
:lol:

Klaus
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: 2 mono BWAV to interleaved stereo, how ?

Post by 4stripes »

In any DAW, pan the mono tracks and then bounce to disk, export, or whatever they call it to stereo interleaved. 101 stuff.
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Yes, 4stripes is correct. Put the two mono files on adjacent mono audio tracks, pan them full left and right, and bounce to interleaved BWAV file.

I have to say, though, that this is one of the--very few--places where I prefer Pro Tools over DP (this and the track color options discussed in a different thread). In PT, you can simply put the two mono files onto a stereo audio track and they behave like an interleaved stereo file. Drag a stereo audio file onto two mono tracks, and it behaves like two mono audio files. It's really convenient. I've long wished DP had that capability.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

My go to tool for this is Audiofinder.
IMHO, a real audio swiss-knife. Cheap and worth every penny.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

daniel.sneed wrote:My go to tool for this is Audiofinder.
IMHO, a real audio swiss-knife. Cheap and worth every penny.
That's what I tried first, but it doesn't work...
Wave Agent was able to handle this ( exactly the files that AF couldn't handle )
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/waveagent/
go figure...
and it's crossplatform - and free too .....yes !

Best

Klaus
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Wow! Thanks for sharing, Klaus.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

I use Sound Device´s Wave Agent a lot since I own a SD recorder. I also use Audiofinder.
Still it would be nice to be able to do it in DP. That and a lot of other related stuff.

The issue IMMO is that a multitrack file is not always multichannel interleaved. Please let me elaborate.

When importing a multichannel audio file (Poly BWAV or else) DP should ask if we want it split in tracks, placed in a surround or stereo track, and even combinations of those ( Say first 4 channels are individual mics, 5th and 6th are a stereo feed and 7th and 8th another stereo pair; Then we would want 4 mono and 2 stereo tracks for example). DP can´t know which kind of track we are importing, only way is to offer an import menu.

In the soundbites window I would like to combine and split them in a numerical and/or manual fashion (as well as the current way) so tracks can be named to be recognized as linked or as individual tracks.

If IXML metadata present on the files could be read and used (such as channel names for example) in this process it would make location sound management so much easier.

This is a bit of a pain in the ass if you work daily with this kind of files and could be a major hook/drawback to sound editors and designers. My humble opinion.

Then again, I sincerely hope someone calls me out on this one and knows of a workaround or any tip related to it.
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bkshepard wrote:Yes, 4stripes is correct. Put the two mono files on adjacent mono audio tracks, pan them full left and right, and bounce.
Couldn't be easier. The tracks do not have to be adjacent in DP.

Much of my recording is done stereo but I always output to discrete mono tracks for R/L, M/S or R//C/L and combine later in DP. That this was easy to do is the reason why I bought DP 2 in the first place.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro