stickies?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
nickysnd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

stickies?

Post by nickysnd »

Is there in DP something like some sort of stickies?
Like little windows that will pop up when I open the project and where I can write short texts, ideas, things to work on later, etc ?
Mac mini Apple M1 ♦ 8GB RAM ♦ MacOS 14.4.1 ♦ Focusrite Scarlett Solo ♦ DP 11.31
buzzsmith

Re: stickies?

Post by buzzsmith »

A lot of folks use the Lyrics window for just that. Stickies would be cool, however.

Maybe a 3rd party app out there somewhere.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I remember Melda Productions had a little freeware plug-in called "AU Notes" that was kinda cool, but it used to cause crash problems for me. You could assign the plug to an empty track, leave it's plug window open, and it was just a little note pad to leave notes associated with that project.

I've hard of people putting a text file in the project folder and then making it a clipping or something like that? I'd love a little Notes window. Granted it might be redundant, but I could see it being useful.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There is a feature in Clippings that enables you to save a file from, say, TextEdit, or perhaps Stickies, and to have it open with a project. It's called Startup Clippings.

To create a Startup Clipping:
1. go to the Project Menu/Clippings/Created Startup Clipping.
2. Name it.
3. drag its window to an accessible place on your screen.

Now, create the document you want to open with DP and save it somewhere, such as the Documents Folder. Find the document in the Finder and drag it to DP/Startup Clippings Window (whatever you named it). You will see its name in the Startup Clippings Window, and from that point on, every time you boot up that project, it will also boot that file in the background. You can place any file in there, from any app, so it could also be a CueMix settings file, or it could be a VI editor, or whatever. Anything you might have reason to open in the background with Digital Performer and the specific project within which you save the Startup Clipping, is fair game and can go in that window. It merely provides a link which DP tells the Mac OS to open.

Actually, if this file is critical to the current song, save it in the Project Folder. Then it will always be there, and Startup Clippings will always find it, regardless of which machine you use to open the project.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Forgot about that, Shooshie, and I've actually done that, too!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

nickysnd

Post by nickysnd »

Great, thanks!

The lyrics window is a very nice trick. I'll use the clippings for screenshots. Sometimes I lose patches in omnisphere and a screenshot of the multi is a good way to rebuild it. Thanks again!
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

I use the comments in the Track window.
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

nickysnd wrote:Great, thanks!

The lyrics window is a very nice trick. I'll use the clippings for screenshots. Sometimes I lose patches in omnisphere and a screenshot of the multi is a good way to rebuild it. Thanks again!
I'm sure that you know that you can save all of your patch modifications in Omnisphere as a User Preset for later recall?

Just checkin'... :)

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

nickysnd

Post by nickysnd »

yeah, I just figured that out. Thanks Buzz!
charlesparente

Post by charlesparente »

The Lyric window, for me, is the single most helpful feature introduced to DP within the past 5 years. [Along with the Consolidated Window].
It's filled with notes pertaining to the DP file I'm working on. Love it!
Charles
http://www.dptips.net [...my very humble tribute to DP]

DP 8-latest version, Mac OS 10.9.4, MacMini 2012, 16GB RAM, Metric Halo ULN-2d, MOTU Micro-Lite usb MIDI interface, Vienna SE, VE Pro, Kontakt latest version, many Kontakt VIs and libraries.
frankf

Post by frankf »

To add to Shooshie's post I have a DP clipping folder called Help which contains alias' to PDF manuals of every piece of hardware/software I regularly use. Actually, any type of file can go in a clipping folder and opening the file will open the associated app and file. Project budgets, cue sheets, screen shots of DP configuration, notes, etc. I tried the Lyrics window idea. However, DP must be open to read these while a Textfile one can read from the Finder

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:To add to Shooshie's post I have a DP clipping folder called Help which contains alias' to PDF manuals of every piece of hardware/software I regularly use. Actually, any type of file can go in a clipping folder and opening the file will open the associated app and file. Project budgets, cue sheets, screen shots of DP configuration, notes, etc. I tried the Lyrics window idea. However, DP must be open to read these while a Textfile one can read from the Finder

Frank Ferrucci
True. I like to read them with QuickLook in the Finder, which is just selecting the file and hitting Spacebar to read it. That way I can often figure out which file it is that I am actually looking for without opening 10 versions of it in DP. I used to add copious notes to files; not so much anymore, but then again I'm mainly working for myself these days. No need for speed and continuity on the job.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yeah, track comments window.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS