iPads (x2), DP and Control Surfaces

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bolla
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

iPads (x2), DP and Control Surfaces

Post by bolla »

I've been using a few of the control surfaces for iPad.
AC-7, V-control (free version) and DAW Remote HD.

The AC-7 has an extra version (AC-7 XT) that can be used on a second iPad which adds an additional 8 faders so you can see and control 16 faders.
DAW Remote HD and V control do not.

However you can use V-control or DAW Remote HD on the 1st iPad and then have AC-7 XT on the second iPad.
I never bothered to even try this as I didn't think it would work but it does.

For DAW Remote HD/AC-7XT
Set up DAW Remote HD as per the manual.
Add an additional session in the MIDI/network set up and add the second iPad to that session. In DP add an extra unit in the Control Surface setup (Expander XT) and set its Input and Output ports to Network Session 2.

For V-Control/AC-7XT you need to use the Reynick wifi for the first iPad.

So now I can use the clean layout of V-control with the longer faders and better pan pots and still have the extra bank of faders with the AC-7 XT on the second iPad.

Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
stubbsonic

Re: iPads (x2), DP and Control Surfaces

Post by stubbsonic »

Since there are now quite a few options for setting up custom controllers for iPad, I'm wondering if we can sort out the features of each in this thread.

Among the things I'm curious about:

1. Can it talk both to a Mac (via Bluetooth, or Wifi)?
2. Can it talk to various open apps on the iPad?
3. What kinds of screen objects can it make? (toggles, x/y, sliders, knobs, etc.)
4. Can it send CC's, Sysex, and other types of streams?
5. Does it allow you to set BOTH ranges and curves for controllers?
6. Multiple screens?
7. What people think generally about interface, workflow, stability, etc.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep... all along it's been possible to use more than one iOS app simultaneously to control a DAW like DP. Even with DP Control, for a time I ran it on my iPhone to control transport and then ran it on my iPad at the same time for the faders, thus not having to change from the fader page to the transport page.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bolla

Post by bolla »

One of the things you have to do each time is set up an adhoc network.
Here's a script that does it for you.

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/1043057

Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bolla wrote:One of the things you have to do each time is set up an adhoc network.
Here's a script that does it for you.

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/1043057

Cheers, Bolla
Thanks for that. I'm unhappy tonight. In rehearsal I have a MacBook running DP playing backing tracks and I set up an adhoc network between an iPad and the MacBook. I then lunch VineServer on the MacBook and control DP using KeyPadPro because it's just faster for what I'm doing. Anyway... the iPad cannot find VineServer when using the adhoc connection. If I go through a router it works, but loses the connection occasionally. This of course, totally out of the blue with no warning after working just great for weeks. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!