mac pro to mac pro

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
michael77
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

mac pro to mac pro

Post by michael77 »

switching over to a new mac pro from a 2008 mac pro......... various ways to get it done......

most recommend a clean install........ makes sense, however DP 8 comes on a CD.... to re install I need a CD drive......... new mac pros don't have CD drives......... can I drag and drop in target mode for transferring DP 8?

also any ideas for making my transition smooth, pls LMK....... thanks to all.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: mac pro to mac pro

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'd pull the old drives and put them in the new machine. Clone the boot drive to the new one and update the OS via the App Store if necessary. Clone the data drives or just keep using them. Not sure about the newest Mac Pro trash can. You might have to do it over a network or via TB or FW with adaptors.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
OLB

Post by OLB »

Just download the installer from the Motu site.. then insert your key when you launch DP.

I did the same transition as you last week. Seamless.

Have fun :)
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
michael77

Post by michael77 »

thanks guys…….. how about the cue mix software….. how do I get that into the new mac? Don't see it on the moth website.
OLB

Post by OLB »

I don't use Cue Mix but it looks like it should be in the Universal Audio installer.

I could be wrong though..
- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
mwalthius

Post by mwalthius »

Using the Apple "migration" program, I transferred everything from my old iMac (via wi-fi and a time machine drive) to a new iMac in February, including DP 7.24. This worked absolutely flawlessly.

However, when I went to use DP, it insisted that I insert my original install disk into the CD/DVD drive. Knowing that I would need to do this, I had purchased an external optical drive. I also had other programs that insisted I insert original install CDs, including some software instruments.

If it is possible to install DP on a new computer without having to insert an original install disk into a drive (a physical drive connected to the computer), this must be a relatively new development.
DP 9.52, MacOS 10.14.1, iMac
Yamaha Montage 8, Virus TI, Moog LP Tribute
Omnisphere, Diva, Sylenth1, Alchemy, Z3TA+2, more
http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd