DP Cursor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
guitmac
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Cursor

Post by guitmac »

thanks a lot!!
I'll check that!
I'm traveling today, coming back on thursday, i'll check that for sure.
Please post the video about the cursor when you have a chance.
Thanks again shooshie, looking forward! :D
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Not to be ... um.. whatever, but I had posted the answer about Layering above.

But your answer was much more complete and clear. :)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Sorry, stubbsonic! It was late, and I was tired. I had run into technical problems with the video I was making, and had gotten quite frustrated, actually. Since I couldn't post it when I thought I would, I came back and told about it, and that's when I remembered the other question. I scanned up a few posts and didn't see an answer to it, so I wrote one not realizing that you had indeed answered it just fine.

Shoosh

PS: vid is uploading. It got very big, and the audio in it was very inconsistent. The video app I'm using seems to have trouble raising and lowering the volume of all audio clips uniformly. I was pulling my hair out trying to get all the audio to the same level. It may be too quiet now. If so, I'll try fixing it and uploading it again, but it seemed like it ought to be posted by now, so I posted the darned thing!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
guitmac

Post by guitmac »

Hi stubbsonic, sorry i didn't see your post. Thanks a lot for your answer, its very clear. Im not at home, but i'll check that for sure when i come back. Shooshie, looking forward to see the video. Thanks a lot guys for the help!
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

guitmac wrote:On this video on DP, the cursor comes back to the start point without having the auto rewind square under the cursor, so i guess there is a way to set this somewhere? I have tried all the options on the transport but no luck so far.....Thanks for the answer!
I also like the simple way Pro Tools does this, and the best alternative I've found in DP is setting the cursor where you want it, then using Control-Spacebar to start from that point. This also works if you drag through a selection area... it will start at the beginning of the selection.

The other way to do this, which also allows you to set a pre-roll and post-roll, is to enable "Link Playback to Memory", and "Link Selection to Memory", and then anywhere you click or any selection you make will playback just by hitting the space bar. (Or if you click someplace while already playing back, the cursor will play from that point). You can also enable "Auto Rewind" and "Loop Playback" to make the process automatic.

As with most things in DP, there are many ways to do just about everything, and you have to find the one that's most convenient for your workflow.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Good answer, and the one I should have given last night instead of making a video about it. I tried to cover all the ways you can automate the transport controls for playback and editing. In the end, the video was just too long and way too large for YouTube, so I chopped it up and just used the part about linking playback and selection to memory.

If I figure out a way to reduce the rest to a reasonable size, I'll post it. Meanwhile, here's this:

Auto-rewind: Click to set Start Point, Click and Drag to set Range

Not as good as some I've done, but I didn't want to start over. This is just chopped down from 13 minutes to 2.

By the way, my preferred way of working is to use keyboard commands to set the start and stop points of memory, and to use the auto-rewind, auto-stop, and loop cycle to make the playback start, stop, and/or rewind where I want it to. When you're working, a click in the window will reset the range with the method in the video. That's not convenient; it's annoying. So, I just constantly reset the start point with a keyboard command as I move my work focus through the sequence.

And lastly, there are SO many ways of doing things in DP. It's kind of rare for it not to do something similar to the way other DAWs do it. I can think of a notorious one, Regions, but that's why it's notorious: it's one of the few cases where DP doesn't adopt those methods of working.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

Shooshie wrote:I tried to cover all the ways you can automate the transport controls for playback and editing
I'd be interested in watching this if you can shrink it down small enough for Youtube! This shorter video was great though.
Shooshie wrote:By the way, my preferred way of working is to use keyboard commands to set the start and stop points of memory
Agreed. I use F5 to mark my selection start, and F6 for selection end, often on the fly as I playback so I can edit more musically than with the mouse. I don't remember if those are defaults, or if I set them up that way. (To guitmac: those would be the DP equivalent to Pro Tools Up and Down Arrow keys).
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
guitmac

Post by guitmac »

Hi guys, I'm back, Thanks a lot for your answers!!!!!
Now I got the cursor working like I want it!
Again excuse my English.

About the layering, do I have to do the key commands every time I want to change it? There is no way to set it automatically? Example: If I pull the left one goes on top, and if I pull the right one, then goes on top.
My main thing is, I have been working with PT for years and I'm used to some ways to do the editing but I'm getting tired of "cpu overload messages" when tracking, so I'm trying new DAWs to see which one works better for me, I'm really liking DP, but I find some things still "slow" on the editing side, I'm just starting with it, but its different to must DAWs, so I hope there is ways to set DP to work similar.

The layering thing is common in most DAWs, also the "clip gain" when you cut an audio etc, do we have that on DP? I'm finding on DP almost everything you have to do is with commands, and its hard to learn because the actions are named differently.

I'm a guitarist, I have an IMAC i7, Fireface UFX, and would like to compose and record flawless at home but would like to keep the editing side as close at PT as possible, for when I go to a studio, mainly thats what they have, and if i have to do an editing I like to do it myself instead of explain it to the engineer.

Please let me know if I can get the layering and the "clip gain" on DP without having to do key commands every time.

Thanks again for all the help guys!!!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

guitmac wrote: Please let me know if I can get the layering and the "clip gain" on DP without having to do key commands every time.
I don't get it... How would DP know when you want to use those commands without invoking the commands (or clicking something) ??

We do have Bite gain and bite volume. Those, and the layering commands, as most DP things, can use shortcuts for easy and quick access.

Notice that you can change all your shortcuts to match PT's if you want to, so you know them already.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
guitmac

Post by guitmac »

Yes Miguelez, it should be a way to set it the way you want it and done.
You don't have to press any key commands to do layering or "clip gain" on PT, Nuendo, Cubase, etc.
You just set it the way you want it once and that's it, when you put the mouse over the wave to edit it, it works the way you want without pressing any key commands. Is it not possible to doit this way on DP?
You already told the software how you want it, why do you have to do it over and over every single cut you make??...... sorry but thats slow to me.
What is easier and faster, one click? or one click and key commands?
I'm loving DP, I just hope I can customize it a little bit more.
Thanks for the answer again! :D
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Shooshie wrote:Good answer, and the one I should have given last night instead of making a video about it. I tried to cover all the ways you can automate the transport controls for playback and editing. In the end, the video was just too long and way too large for YouTube, so I chopped it up and just used the part about linking playback and selection to memory.

If I figure out a way to reduce the rest to a reasonable size, I'll post it. Meanwhile, here's this:

Auto-rewind: Click to set Start Point, Click and Drag to set Range

Not as good as some I've done, but I didn't want to start over. This is just chopped down from 13 minutes to 2.

By the way, my preferred way of working is to use keyboard commands to set the start and stop points of memory, and to use the auto-rewind, auto-stop, and loop cycle to make the playback start, stop, and/or rewind where I want it to. When you're working, a click in the window will reset the range with the method in the video. That's not convenient; it's annoying. So, I just constantly reset the start point with a keyboard command as I move my work focus through the sequence.

And lastly, there are SO many ways of doing things in DP. It's kind of rare for it not to do something similar to the way other DAWs do it. I can think of a notorious one, Regions, but that's why it's notorious: it's one of the few cases where DP doesn't adopt those methods of working.

Shooshie
Thank you very much for this video! I'm demoing DP8, coming from PT and this was one of the most annoying things to figure out. Your video made it easy for me to replicate PT's behaviour and explore the many other options DP8 provides. :dance:
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Happy to be of service. I wish I could post the other 11 minutes of that video. The things you can do with DP are amazing, and I think you'd learn from all of it, but I was about to upload just under a GB of movie to YouTube when I realized that most full-length HD movies on iTunes aren't much bigger. Something was drastically wrong.

So I'm trying to figure out how to get HD quality in much smaller video sizes. When I figure that out, I'll post more.

Shooshie
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:So I'm trying to figure out how to get HD quality in much smaller video sizes. When I figure that out, I'll post more.

Shooshie
H.264 codec (via Quicktime)
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:
Shooshie wrote:So I'm trying to figure out how to get HD quality in much smaller video sizes. When I figure that out, I'll post more.

Shooshie
H.264 codec (via Quicktime)
That's what I use! I don't understand why 13 minutes of video comes out at 900MB. As you might guess, I'm not a video guy.

Shooshie