DP Cursor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
guitmac
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP Cursor

Post by guitmac »

Hi, first of all excuse my English. I'm new using DP I was using Pro Tools before, I'll would like the cursor to come back to the point where started. Example, if I play from bar 3, when stops goes to bar 3 again. How can I setup this?
Also, when I cut an audio on the sequencer, the right part of the file is always on top of the left one, where can I set it different? For example, If I drag the right one over the left one I want to see the right one on top, and if I drag the left one over the right one the left one is on top.
I hope you can understand what I mean. Looking forward to an answer to fixe this. Thanks!
FMiguelez

Re: DP Cursor

Post by FMiguelez »

Welcome to the forum, guitmac.

For your first question, if I understand correctly, you want the wiper (and the counter) to return to whatever starting position you play it, yes?
For this you can use the key F1. That sets DP to autorewind. You can also turn it off/on by pressing keypad number 9, so you can quickly invoke or avoid this behaviour.

DP will let you know when this function is engaged with and icon in the transport near its lower left side (check the manual for Autorewind). Notice you could also have Autostop.

As for your second question, I'm not sure I understand it. I can put any soundbite over any other soundbite and I will see on the top the one that I moved, no matter if it was dragged from the left or from the right.
Can you rephrase it?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
guitmac

Post by guitmac »

Thanks for your answer FMiguelez!
Unfortunaly is not working, I don't have a keypad, so I can't try the 9, and if I press f1 i get a double repetition bar, but the cursor doesn't go back to the position where started, Any other way to do this? Thanks again!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

You're getting the double bar because you have Memory Cycle engaged and Autorewind off (the icons are next to each other in the Transport).

Simply turn Memory Cycle off. Once you do so, you'll see a single double bar, and DP should return to the starting points this way.

If you can't use Keypad 8 and 9 to use the Autorewind/Stop, just click on them.
ONCE Autorewind is on, DP will return to the playing starting point OR to the spot where you press F1 (this can be used even while DP is playing).
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
guitmac

Post by guitmac »

Ok, now if I move the cursor to another place the bar doesn't move, I have to move the bar separately, how can I engage both?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

For your second question, there is a logic to which Soundbite is "on top" and which is "beneath".

To quickly change this for the Soundbites you are working on, go to the Audio Menu, and look for the "Layering" sub-menu. In there, you will see commands for moving things "forward" and "backward". This is not moving them in time. It means that something that is behind another soundbite can be moved so that it is on top. One command moves the soundbite one level forward/back, another command moves the soundbite all the way to the front/back.

Hope that makes sense.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

The bar only tells you the point at where DP would return if you press stop. It is not supposed to move with the wiper.

You set the starting point by pressing F1.

So all you have to do is engage Autorewind (by using kepad 8 or clicking directly in the button) and press F1. You can use F1 with DP stopped or running.

guitmac

Post by guitmac »

Thanks again for you answer again FMiguelz! There is no way to set this without having to press F1 every time? Like just moving the cursor and then will start from whatever point you move it? This is possible to setup, on PT, Cubase, etc, it should be a way, not possible on DP?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

It works the same.
Just experiment with it and you'll get it.

You don't have to keep pressing F1; once is enough (unless you want to change the starting point location).

stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

I get this - I am frustrated that DP doesn't work like PT in this way, sad to say. In other words just clicking on a new point in the timeline becomes the new start point - or highlighting a soundbite or selection, and creating a new loop…. much easier for editing

DP and PT both have their pros and cons, so I use both for different things!!

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
guitmac

Post by guitmac »

Yes, I want to move the start point, and I want the cursor to start wherever I move it when I stop and play again without pressing a key. Like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkUSohncoCI
guitmac

Post by guitmac »

On this video on DP, the cursor comes back to the start point without having the auto rewind square under the cursor, so i guess there is a way to set this somewhere? I have tried all the options on the transport but no luck so far.....Thanks for the answer!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It's all possible, and it's easy to do. I'm going to make a video to show you how. Be back in a while.

DP is not nearly as limited as most DAWs, and it's certainly not as limited as many people think. The problem is simply knowing how. Fortunately, the things you're asking are very easy.

The cool thing about DP is that it allows you to work in many ways, not just one. Plus, you can change your modes of working instantly. It's the DAW for all seasons.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
guitmac

Post by guitmac »

Thanks a lot Shooshie!!! Looking forward to your video, please check also the other thing I posted on the first message about the right wave going over the left one and the left one over the right one when editing on the sequencer, sorry I don't know how to explain this better. Hope you undertsand. Thanks again!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

guitmac wrote:Thanks a lot Shooshie!!! Looking forward to your video, please check also the other thing I posted on the first message about the right wave going over the left one and the left one over the right one when editing on the sequencer, sorry I don't know how to explain this better. Hope you undertsand. Thanks again!
I'm working on the video. It's complicated, because what you asked for is at the crux of a lot of very important principles, and I'm trying to decide which ones to leave out to keep the video short. But the principles themselves are easy; there's just a lot to know, and I want people to get what they want without having to watch the whole thing. So what order do I put things in?

The answer to your other question is called Layering. Learn the keyboard commands for layering. Look under the Audio Menu, and pull it down to Layering. Notice the four commands. There are Move Forward and Move Backward. Then there are Move to Front and Move to Back. Forward and Backward would be COMMAND-SHIFT-PLUS or COMMAND-SHIFT-MINUS, while Front and Back would be COMMAND-OPTION-PLUS or COMMAND-OPTION-MINUS. It can't read your mind. You have to tell it to move the selected soundbite under or over the other one, same as you would with an object or layer in Adobe Illustrator. This is a pro-app, and it doesn't make decisions for you.

Cheers,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|