V-Racks in the Mixer

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: V-Racks in the Mixer

Post by dewdman42 »

yea those steps did not work for me, so I dunno. I will leave to you DP9 owners to figure it out then, if you say it worked for you I will take your word for it. Did you actually test it out to make sure the MIDI controller was actually controlling the V-rack plugin?

Like I said earlier, for me, when it was in a V-Rack, the MIDI learn button would light up and it would go into learning mode, but then clicking all over the controls of the V-rack plugin did not actually register anything, while clicking on the controls of a sequence plugin did.

And when I tried to open up the actual controller assignment dialog, you can there specify various parameters related to the "learn". A source, a target, various other things. It presents you with a dropdown list of target plugins and all of the parameters within those plugins.

None of the plugins I had instantiated on v-rack tracks appeared on that list...only plugin instances instantiated on sequence tracks.

Why it worked for you and not me, I have no idea. If that is working then great! it means automation on v-rack plugins.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes, of course I made sure moving the MIDI controller affected the plugin. The only thing I can think of is the particular plugins involved. I don't suppose MOTU can guarantee it will work on any and all plugins, or all the parameters on specific plugins. IIRC, I always moved the controller before selecting the plugin parameter, but I don't see why that should matter.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

right. I tried with several mainstream plugins. i didn't have a MIDI controller actually connected so I couldn't move the controller first. The instructions say to click on the plugin first, FWIW and it worked fine when on a sequence track. very strange. Also very strange that when I went into the dialog none of the plugins on V-rack were appearing as available targets. I also noticed that when clicking on the MIDI learn button at the bottom of the FX window, there would be a default plugin parameter selected ahead of time..which was another plugin on a sequence track, rather then the one I was trying to assign to on a V-rack track.

By the way, as a side note, I want to mention that in that dialog I mentioned you can specify the MIDI sources and in there you can specify a sequence MIDI track as the source, instead of your MIDI controller. That's how you can use this for V-rack automation. when you click the MIDI learn button, there is a consolidated side window that opens up for controller assignments. A line is created with colored box indicating that its waiting for you to click on a plugin control and twist a knob on your MIDI controller. Well you can double click on that to pull up the dialog I mentioned. So in there you can assign the MIDI source as being a sequence MIDI track. Glad to hear its working then...V-rack automation, at least of plugin parameters...is there. still can't automate V-rack fader and send levels, but I don't see that as a problem generally as the sound is usually coming back to a sequence audio track and can be automated there. have no idea why it was completely non functional for me, but as far as I'm concerned DP9 is still beta.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dewdman42 wrote:I tried with several mainstream plugins. i didn't have a MIDI controller actually connected so I couldn't move the controller first.
OK, I tried it on my laptop which doesn't have a controller attached and no MIDI interface. I opened up MIDI Keys. Didn't get a link between MIDI Keys and a MOTU plugin in a V-Rack. I'll try it again later and see if I can get it going.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

try double clicking on the line I was talking about to open the dialog...then you can specify the source and the target more directly.
yamguitar

Post by yamguitar »

I definitely dig V-Racks for VI's, especially Kontakt... frequently I'll write a series of cues as different sequences in the same project, when I know I'm going to be reusing a lot of the same instruments. There's a lot of switching from sequence to sequence, and the V-Racks eliminate or seriously curtail the sample load time between switches. V-Racks are also handy for containing reverb and EQ settings that I know will be common to all the cues in the project. :dance:
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

My 2 cents:
Of course I don't automate FX inside my V-racks (no way to).
Nor do I automate FX return (no straight way to, or need extra aux in chunk).
BUT, whenever needed, I automate FX sends (bus sends), which is a breeze.

BTW, just for the recall, inside V-racks FX do follow any chunk tempo map.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

well it is actually possible to automate FX parameters in a V-Rack, using BlueCatAudio's patchwork....or it sounds like maybe under DP9 you can do it with MIDI learn.