Unable to Pitch Correct human whistling and piccolos

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dana@danacountryman.com
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Unable to Pitch Correct human whistling and piccolos

Post by dana@danacountryman.com »

Hi folks,
Here's a dilemma I've NEVER figured out:

When trying to pitch correct audio that is super-high (piccolos, human whistling, etc) I don't get a continuous, segmented line to edit, as in vocals. Instead, the pitch line comes all wacky, with nothing seemingly connected. I've tried to edit this mess, but the audio isn't affected, whatsoever. How can I control this kind of audio for pitch editing?

See photo example of audio of human musical whistling...

http://www.danacountryman.com/pics/WhistleAudio.jpg

help.
Apple 27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5750, SuperDrive, DP7, Snow Leopard, Reason, Ivory, samplemodeling, Kontact, Kirk Hunter Diamond Symphony, REAL analog modular synth!

"There are none so blind as Helen Keller."
crduval

Re: Unable to Pitch Correct human whistling and piccolos

Post by crduval »

I'm not in the studio right now but I remember reading that DP's pitch correction can be set to either a voice or instrumental setting. Maybe this would help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
magicd

Post by magicd »

The pitch correction is looking for a monophonic tone. It's optimized for the range of the human voice.

One of the problems with a whistle is that the breath content is seen as low frequency noise by the pitch algorithm. You could try processing the signal first with a high pass filter to remove the breath noise from the sample. That may help the detection.

Dave
ramadev

Post by ramadev »

magicd wrote:The pitch correction is looking for a monophonic tone. It's optimized for the range of the human voice.

One of the problems with a whistle is that the breath content is seen as low frequency noise by the pitch algorithm. You could try processing the signal first with a high pass filter to remove the breath noise from the sample. That may help the detection.

Dave
It's little gems like this that make us greatly appreciate you being here on this forum Dave! Many thanks...again!
Nehalem Dual QuadCore 3.2GHz/8GB/828/MTP AV/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/GuitarRig4/Drumagog/bx_XL/FG-X,RC-Tube,VTM/EventideOmnipressor/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/2GB/Traveler/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/bx_XL/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
Neumann,AKG,Earthworks,Soundelux mics/ManleyVoxBox/Avalon737/Amek9098/Genelec1031As
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Try hitting COMMAND-RightArrow. That zooms in. Sometimes after a few zooms you will get all the segments you need to edit the whole pitch line. If that doesn't fix it, I'm all out of ideas. Dave is probably right about the noise thing.

Shooshie

PS: I've done whole albums of piccolo and of flute, and I was able to edit pitch on both, though fortunately it didn't need it much. (really top players, thank goodness!)
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

One more thing: if you're editing the pitch to match another instrument in unison, I've found sometimes it's best to copy the pitch from one to the other to avoid phase issues.

S.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dana@danacountryman.com

Thanks, guys ---- i can't seem to solve this problem, but I appreciate your input....

-dc
Apple 27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5750, SuperDrive, DP7, Snow Leopard, Reason, Ivory, samplemodeling, Kontact, Kirk Hunter Diamond Symphony, REAL analog modular synth!

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

dana@danacountryman.com wrote:Thanks, guys ---- i can't seem to solve this problem, but I appreciate your input....

-dc
Dana, did you zoom in? That looks exactly like my piccolo recordings before I zoomed in to increase the resolution. Zooming in extended the length of the notes and provided the extended pitch handles that I needed to edit them.

Oh, and I remembered another thing after looking at your screenshot: use the scissors tool to cut the pitch handles between notes. At least, I THINK that's what I did. I'm pretty sure that's it. When you do that, it analyzes each note individually then. It's apparently connecting them all together right now, and it thinks it's one note.

C6 is not that high. Pitch editing works great at that range. You just need to help it make sense of individual notes.

Let me know how it goes. If that doesn't fix it, I'll revisit those files and see exactly what I did, but I'm pretty sure I'm remembering it correctly.

Shooshie
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I too have found gaps where there appears to be no note to pitch correct. Sometimes its because I have edited soundbites and merged soundbites and the pitch info has disappeared. I guess the pitch correction is magic but it can't do everything. Interested to know how the missing pitch notes can be found.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
dana@danacountryman.com

No, I was not successful at cutting what few audio parts I saw with the scissors tool. I looked a the manual, and it says that audio represented by "gray lines" are not editable. That's how much of these audio files come out: A few super-high editable lines a the EXTREME top and bottom of the file, with gray bars in the middle. Hmmmm.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Not whistling directly into the mic can help reduce the amount of noisy blown air.
Record it at an angle, otherwise, as you've seen, DP will have a hard time telling apart the noise from the actual whiste sound.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dana@danacountryman.com

The whistling has already been recorded by a contributor in another state. It's really not bad, so I'll just live with it, the way it is...

Thanks, all!

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm just grabbing at straws here for a PLAN B:

Create a copy of the track (but with a separate copy of the soundbite)

Use DP or even some other process (like Audacity) or Apples AU Pitch Shift, or AudioWish's Octave Shifter2, or Forever for Now's Diatonic Shifter to pitch shift the audio down one, two or three octaves (maybe try 3 octaves first just to see if it does something useful).

Now see if the pitch analysis is better.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Oh, then I left out the part where you somehow get that pitch info up to the correct octave and put the original track back. I don't use DP's pitch stuff much.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com