Way to hear Volume Automation in real time?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Marc7777
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Way to hear Volume Automation in real time?

Post by Marc7777 »

Hello,

Lately i've been working on a project where I've been working in Ableton Live - Rewired into DP.

Everything is working great, but I noticed a "feature" in Live that seemingly isn't in DP, and I was wondering if maybe it was just me, or if it is true for everyone.

In Live, when you are riding volume automation (I do it the "new school" way and move dots around as I go), you can actually hear the volume change while you are holding down a dot and moving it. It helps when you are trying to find the sweet spot in the mix.

When I go over to DP, I went to do the same thing, but I noticed that I have to let go of the dot in order to hear the change in volume.. Is that how it works for everyone?

It'd be nice to have it work like Live does..
DP 8.04 64bit, VEP 5 (Latest), 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.8 as DP DAW. 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.6 as VEP Sample Machine. PCIe 424 - 4 2408's. Console - Yamaha 02R 96v2. AD/DA - Apogee Symphony IO. Waves, Sonnox, MOTU Plugins.
bayswater

Re: Way to hear Volume Automation in real time?

Post by bayswater »

Marc7777 wrote:When I go over to DP, I went to do the same thing, but I noticed that I have to let go of the dot in order to hear the change in volume.. Is that how it works for everyone?
Yes, that's what I get. I guess DP doesn't know what the new volume level is until you let it go. The Live approach would be helpful.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

bayswater wrote:
Marc7777 wrote:When I go over to DP, I went to do the same thing, but I noticed that I have to let go of the dot in order to hear the change in volume.. Is that how it works for everyone?
Yes, that's what I get. I guess DP doesn't know what the new volume level is until you let it go. The Live approach would be helpful.
+1. That would be very useful, especially when drawing lines in volume or dynamics. Great suggestion.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Only reason I'd be leery of this is because sometimes my finger slips and the automation point can jump to the very top. Ouch! :shock: :banghead:

Speaking of automation points, what I'd like is a way to move a selected automation point (or group of points) up or down with the arrow keys (or whatever keys). If there's a way to do this, someone please let me know what it is. I'd much rather punch the keyboard than draw. It just seems weird not to have a way of moving automation points up/down with the computer keyboard.

If this simple technique existed, it'd be great if MOTU added a preference for the amount of the up/down nudge. I'd use .25 of a dB most of the time.

I do know about and use Change Continuous Data. That's great for a lot of things, but not quite fast and simple enough for what I want.
DP10.13
Marc7777

Post by Marc7777 »

I have Change Continuous Data as a quick key.. not sure if it defaults to that or not, but it's F8 for me. Maybe I set it that way years ago and just left it. It is an assignable key though.

That is how I've always done adjusting automation in DP. and I actually prefer it. I think it actually trains your ear into knowing what .5dB is like or 1dB difference makes.

But the Live approach is pretty cool and maybe it can be added to the long list of features that I assume DP has..

Cheers!
DP 8.04 64bit, VEP 5 (Latest), 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.8 as DP DAW. 1 Dual Quad 2.26 Mac Pro 2009 w/ 10.6 as VEP Sample Machine. PCIe 424 - 4 2408's. Console - Yamaha 02R 96v2. AD/DA - Apogee Symphony IO. Waves, Sonnox, MOTU Plugins.