Kramer Master Tape

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Kramer Master Tape

Post by James Steele »

Holy cow! The Waves site is STILL down!!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cbergm7210 wrote:That guy in the video made a couple of presets for metal drums and master buss for the plug. They sounded good in his video:

http://projectk2r4.com/2012/07/10/use-w ... fessional/
Oh and thanks for this! I'll have to look. Not enough hours in the day. Believe it or not, I only recently watched one of the Pensado's Place "In The Lair" YouTube videos and it's really great stuff. Unfortunately, I have to find time to be a musician and not always enough time to be an engineer. God how I miss the days where there seemed to be the money to allow people to specialize in both.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Just to play the yang to everyone's yin here, once I got VTM I stopped using Kramer altogether.

Now, for $29 it's still a nice fuzzbox, but for me it's just not comparable to the "tapeness" of VTM. YMMV.

:D
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Kubi wrote:Just to play the party pooper, once I got VTM I stopped using Kramer altogether.

Now, for $29 it's still a nice fuzzbox, but for me it's just not comparable to the "tapeness" of VTM. YMMV.

Hehehe... FINE... just shoot me down! LOL Yeah... but for $29 I thought it might be something fun for this rock'n'roller to play with on the Master buss. I've gotten good results in the past with a combination of Nomad Factory's MAGNETIC on the 30ips Tape preset prior to going into Slate FG-X which I absolutely adore for rock/metal! Steven (or more appropriately, Fabrice) puhleeease bring us the 64-bit FG-X soon! :)

cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Kubi wrote:Just to play the yang to everyone's yin here, once I got VTM I stopped using Kramer altogether.

I was not going to buy until I saw that guy's vid on the metal drums. I enjoyed what it did to stock SD2 drums quickly so I figured it was worth the $29. From what I've researched this and VTM are different animals...I'll file this one under Rock Drum Processing in my master list of plug's along with Massey's free one and others. Good to have tools to reach for for every situation.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

cbergm7210 wrote:
Kubi wrote:Just to play the yang to everyone's yin here, once I got VTM I stopped using Kramer altogether.

I was not going to buy until I saw that guy's vid on the metal drums. I enjoyed what it did to stock SD2 drums quickly so I figured it was worth the $29. From what I've researched this and VTM are different animals...I'll file this one under Rock Drum Processing in my master list of plug's along with Massey's free one and others. Good to have tools to reach for for every situation.
And if you want a great 'fuzzbox' for drums, metal and otherwise, also check out Trash 2. Not just trashy but some great punch enhancers and eq.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

James Steele wrote:
Kubi wrote:Just to play the party pooper, once I got VTM I stopped using Kramer altogether.

Hehehe... FINE... just shoot me down! LOL Yeah... but for $29 I thought it might be something fun for this rock'n'roller to play with on the Master buss. I've gotten good results in the past with a combination of Nomad Factory's MAGNETIC on the 30ips Tape preset prior to going into Slate FG-X which I absolutely adore for rock/metal! Steven (or more appropriately, Fabrice) puhleeease bring us the 64-bit FG-X soon! :)
I don't doubt VTM is great, just sayin' Kramer can certainly do the job. My master default bus chain is Trim-VCC-Kramer Tape- L3 Multimaximizer. I would love to try FG-X, which I have, but as you have pointed out, it's not 64 bit so it doesn't get to play which means it's a WASTE to me at this point (and yes, I know I can do the bridge dance, but I've got enough on my plate with plugs that are up to modern spec).
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tobor wrote:I would love to try FG-X, which I have, but as you have pointed out, it's not 64 bit so it doesn't get to play which means it's a WASTE to me at this point (and yes, I know I can do the bridge dance, but I've got enough on my plate with plugs that are up to modern spec).
I hear you. Truthfully, the VST bridges well with JBridgeM which is cheap and has the extra benefit of a low processor usage mode which actually reduces the considerable CPU hit of FG-X. I've taken to using 32 Lives predominantly because I do have some 32-bit plugs that I like that I just refuse to give up.

I do know that one of the reasons FG-X 64-bit is taking so long is that Steven said they were pretty much recoding it and one additional benefit was going to be a significantly reduced CPU hit, which would be welcome. A great plug though!

Tobor

Post by Tobor »

I agree with all that, James. Just figured since it was almost May I'd play the part of 'squeaky wheel' to help hasten the process if possible.

I haven't had the chance to play with FG-X enough to know what I'm missing, and frankly with my Kramer settings and L3 on cleanup/marginal oomph I'm more than happy with the results I'm getting on the master bus at the moment.

I was tempted to go bridge to use Miroslav, but there are currently some funky authorization issues with that plug as well, so have decided to wait to see what iK does next. They surely must know how popular Miroslav is, and I've got other strings that are filling in nicely at the moment.
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

FG-X was another Waves-killer for me. It's incredibly, insanely good, and instantly retired my trusty L3. Personally, I just much prefer the way it sounds. Again YMMV... :D :D :D

Since it's definitely a master-buss processor mostly it's not such a big deal for me that it's not 64bit yet - I print the mix with full dynamic range and plenty of headroom to spare (good to have that archived anyway) and then open it in Peak and use FG-X.

But yeah, looking fwd to having FG-X back in DP at my fingertips.

:koolaid:
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

With Slate FG-X going for $99.00 as well as the $99.00 32 to 64 (for AU plugs) at http://www.soundradix.com/products/32-lives it was a great $200.00 spent. It's all my processor can handle to run it live on a mix but performs as advertized. Can't see ever using waves or UAD for master compression and limiting ever again (and they were both more expensive). The constant gain monitoring should me mandatory on any mastering plug so the loudness fletcher/munson curve thing can't fool you.

Thanks James for recommending. Feel MUCH MUCH better about putting louder masters out there now that I'm not destroying the dynamics nearly as much, at least, the ear is not hearing the the transients as squashed.
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

zandurian wrote:With Slate FG-X going for $99.00...
Wow! You got a great deal. I seem to recall paying about $200 for it? Worth every penny though! :love:

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Kubi wrote:FG-X was another Waves-killer for me. It's incredibly, insanely good, and instantly retired my trusty L3. Personally, I just much prefer the way it sounds. Again YMMV... :D :D :D

Since it's definitely a master-buss processor mostly it's not such a big deal for me that it's not 64bit yet - I print the mix with full dynamic range and plenty of headroom to spare (good to have that archived anyway) and then open it in Peak and use FG-X.

But yeah, looking fwd to having FG-X back in DP at my fingertips.

:koolaid:
Same here; after getting FG-X I had stopped using the L3 on most mixes, but after moving to Mavericks I've had trouble with the JBridge/FG-X combination. I can get it to work if I mess with it enough, but I got tired of messing every time I opened a file or switched chunks, so I went back to Waves. However, instead of the L3, I've been using the Renaissance Vox, RenComp, and some other such plugins, and I've been getting very nice results.

I'll go back to FG-X when I can drop JBridge, that is, when they release the 64 bit version. Meanwhile, it's been kind of nice exploring other things. I tend to get in a groove with one set of plugins and never come out of my comfort zone. I need to force myself to try other plugins at least once a week or once a mix or something like that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I just got around to installing and authorizing this. It appears in all Waves Plugin folder, and all the WavesShells appear in their respective plugin folders. The Kramer Plugin appears in my WLC listing and in my Waves account.

The problem: when I load KramerTape into DP or DSP-Quattro, the L1 Limiter is loaded instead. Kramer does not appear in the plugin listings for Logic 9.

If I load the L1 Limiter instead, I get the L1 Ultramaximizer. While I have the L1 Ultramaximizer, it no longer appears in the DP plugins lists.

Anyone seeing similar strange behaviour?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote:I just got around to installing and authorizing this. It appears in all Waves Plugin folder, and all the WavesShells appear in their respective plugin folders. The Kramer Plugin appears in my WLC listing and in my Waves account.

The problem: when I load KramerTape into DP or DSP-Quattro, the L1 Limiter is loaded instead. Kramer does not appear in the plugin listings for Logic 9.

If I load the L1 Limiter instead, I get the L1 Ultramaximizer. While I have the L1 Ultramaximizer, it no longer appears in the DP plugins lists.

Anyone seeing similar strange behaviour?
Yes I am seeing something similar. Some things don't show up at all in DP, but do in DSP-Q, and then the selected plugin is wrong. This behavior just started with the recent Waves update AFAICT.

I should add that for me Kramer is working fine, but I've had that plugin for a long time. It's the new plugins I just bought that seem to be causing the issue.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1