Please recommend a good Transient shaper plug-in...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Please recommend a good Transient shaper plug-in...

Post by stubbsonic »

Flux: BitterSweet Pro does look & sound very impressive. They've added some important touches like frequency range, and separate mid (center) and side (stereo) processing. Not for me, but it looks to be quite useful, especially for adjusting room and other sustain qualities post recording.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I haven't found Bittersweet useful, but it can be fun as a quick study before applying real plug-ins. The new Pro version is expensive considering what it is up against. If it was half that price, I could see the value. But there are several really good transient plug-ins at the moment.

Remember that some transient plug-ins are optimized for drums, and others have special tasks they were designed for. It is unlikely you can live with just one, but to me there is nothing that comes close to the new Sonnox Envolution as at least a "first stop" on each track that needs transient work. You may, however, have just missed the across-the-board 50%-off Sonnox plug-in sale.

For years, my go-to was Eiosis E2 Transienter, but it never made the 64-bit transfer (though Fabrice Gabriel says he will try to finally get his pre-Slate plug-ins to 64-bit land this year).

Sometimes for snare, I'll use Elysia Nvelope (from Brainwork), but even though it is by far the most successful for that purpose, the consequences don't always result in a workable drum mix. It's pretty extreme, even at "soft" settings. But it sure can be a precision tool when needed!

The older Sonnox Transient Modulator is quite good, but not as precise as the Eiosis plug. Some of the newer plugs that came after the Eiosis one, are quite good -- especially including the Softube Transient Shaper and even the free version from NI called Transient Master.

XLN Audio DS-10 Drum Shaper is specifically for drums, and possibly primarily for kick and toms. I bought it, but haven't used it on an actual project yet (though I did spend some time with it). Very powerful tool, but also quite specific in its application.

Audio Assault recently released a multi-band version called Multi Transient. It is cheap so I said "why not", but haven't played much with it yet. I think it's the only multi-band (from a GUI point of view; others might be in the background) transient modulator on the market.

Slate has the FG-Bomber Dynamic Impact Enhancer, but I don't think of it quite so much as a general transient modulator. I do use it though, as I do all of my Slate plug-ins.

SPL Transient Designer is older but recently upgraded and can be interesting when working with old tracks or mixes that need salvaging. SPL Attacker is a drum-specific derivation of that product.

In the "weird" category is Fxpansion DCAM Dynamics, which I got dirt cheap on a promotional but haven't used effectively yet. I think it is derived from the effects section of Synth Squad.

Of course, there is the quite-good transient section of iZotope Alloy, which is my go-to for the tom-tom tracks (I run it independently on each one vs. waiting until the grouped submix stem of the toms, so that it doesn't get confused by overlap between the tom envelopes).

At the very bottom of my list is Flux Bittersweet. I don't like Flux plug-ins; I tried them all multiple times and found the GUI's quirky and the results too difficult to predict. Very colored, but some may like that. I think Bittersweet Pro shares this DNA, but I only tried the demo briefly.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

SPL here too. I tried quite a few and it was the only one that gave me highly predictable predicable results.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

stephentayler wrote:Expensive, I'm afraid, but it's the original, and still I think the best - spl Transient Designer

http://plugin-alliance.com/en/plugins/d ... igner.html

Cheers

SWT
this...

Tried a lot, nothing does it better IMHO
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
dbender

Post by dbender »

Check out the Mmultiband Transient shaper by Melda Production. Very powerful
iMac 3.0 GHz, 8 GHz ram, OS 10.6.4, MOTU 828 Mk II, MOTU MIDI Express-XT (x2), KRK Rokit 6's, Novation Remote Zero SL, Radikal SAC-2k, Triton rack maxed out, Matrix 1000, Handsonic HPD-15 drum pads, tons 'o VI's.....
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

dbender wrote:Check out the Mmultiband Transient shaper by Melda Production. Very powerful
That one has been on my wish list for some time now.
The moment, the second it becomes available as part of their weekly "Mad Week", I will buy it at 50% off.

I LOVE Melda Production plugins :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

HCMarkus wrote:If you have a recent NI Komplete, you should have their version.
+1 for the Native Instruments Transient Designer. I also have the SPL on UAD platform, but to me, the NI allows for a little more exaggerated curves on the hits and the sustain.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I forgot about Alloy 2—have owned that for years. I should try out the Transient Shaper module someday.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix ... tures.html
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yes, it is also one of the areas where Alloy 2 was seriously upgraded from Alloy 1.

As Alloy brings my computer to its knees, when I use it on four tom tracks during initial toms mix-down to the toms stem, I have pretty much reserved it for toms stem mixing, bass stem mixing, and sometimes guitar stem pre-mixing (not the main guitar buss; just individual sets of tracks for solos, etc.).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
lito

Post by lito »

don't forget the Transient Shaper from Softube !!!!!
Only a Tele is good enough !!!
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

Just a heads up update... Waves Trans-X is on sale today for $39.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

What do folks think of Sonnox's Envolution?

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I mentioned Envolution earlier. It's the best of the best. I waited for a good sale and got it on the cheap. But it was worth the regular price; I was simply broke from too many other purchases!

SOS had a review this month, and quite a big chunk of it shows up for non-subscribers. Actually, I tried resubscribing a few times but the website blocked me each time. Probably requires Exploder on Windoze or something. :-) Eventually I'll find time to take care of that so that I can read their reviews when first published vs. six months later.

corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Last edited by corbo-billy on Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Never heard of that one, and can't even tell from the image who the vendor is, as it appears to be abbreviated to a two or three letter acronym.