Latest Kontakt update breaks Sample Modeling Trombone

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Latest Kontakt update breaks Sample Modeling Trombone

Post by mhschmieder »

This is a known issue with no solution.

Too late for me; I stupidly depend on NI's Service Center for updates vs. downloading them directly like with every other vendor so that I have backup copies of previous installations.

Kontakt 5_531U reports a missing nicnt file for The Trombone 3.x (either 3.0 or 3.1; it doesn't seem to matter, but I did update to 3.1 before the Kontakt bug appeared a month later).

This is really frustrating as this is one of my most-used libraries. The only solution so far is for Windows not Macs (a special roll-back feature that Windows supports on .exe files).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
David Polich

Re: Latest Kontakt update breaks Sample Modeling Trombone

Post by David Polich »

mhschmieder wrote:This is a known issue with no solution.

Too late for me; I stupidly depend on NI's Service Center for updates vs. downloading them directly like with every other vendor so that I have backup copies of previous installations.

Kontakt 5_531U reports a missing nicnt file for The Trombone 3.x (either 3.0 or 3.1; it doesn't seem to matter, but I did update to 3.1 before the Kontakt bug appeared a month later).

This is really frustrating as this is one of my most-used libraries. The only solution so far is for Windows not Macs (a special roll-back feature that Windows supports on .exe files).
Well that isn't very good news.

I'll check to confirm whether I have the latest version of Kontakt 5 on my desktop tomorrow.
I do have the latest version of the Trombone, it's working fine in K5 right now. Maybe I have
an earlier version of K5.

Will report back.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Strangely, it works fine if you navigate to the presets from the standard browser tab in Kontakt.

Only the library module loading seems affected. That's very strange, as I thought that feature had to work for its content to be seen as licensed, regardless of whether you actually access its presets from the library icons or directly from the browser tab.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
groove

Post by groove »

I had the same problem after updating via the NI service centre. The Trombone and Session Strings Pro were affected.
I was able to recover the Trombone nicnt file from a backup, but I had to open a ticket at Native for the Session Strings Pro one. Ultimately, they sent me a nicnt file to resolve it.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Looks like I have Kontakt 5.3.0. Wonder whether updating to 5.3.1 is all that important.

Just out of curiosity, where are these mysterious "nicnt" files stored?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Using Spotlight, I found out that the .nicnt files are each stored under the main directory for the respective sample library. On my system, even Session Strings Pro shows up still, but unfortunately I don't do Time Machine backups of my almost 4 GB worth of sample libraries and do a direct copy to a dedicated backup so my backup drive is by now "up to date" with the deleted .nicnt file and thus I can't recover it unless it's generic (vs. license-specific) and someone can send me theirs.

bdr

Post by bdr »

Wow, so THAT'S what happened to my Session Strings Pro.! That is lame. Thanks so much for the info.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, it's one thing that it breaks a third-party library, but lamer still that it breaks one of their own libraries.

synergy543

Post by synergy543 »

There is a solution to this problem and here is the fix that works for me.

http://samplemodeling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=875

To make it work though, you must highlight the file and select "Command+I" and change the end of the file name from ".ninct.nkx" to just ".ninct".

And don't ask me how I figured this out, as I have no f@#$ing idea!

_Greg
Gregory D. Moore DP11.1, OSX 10.14.6 MacPro 2013 8-core, 64G RAM, too-many sample libraries, pencil, paper, coffee, and midnight oil.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Not sure if its related or not (same update, different problem), but I went through a lot of pain with the last Service Center update for Kontakt.

Solved here: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=58102
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I probably never found time to post this, but I had a fair number of other libraries that gave me the same grief, and not all of them could be recovered the same way. I had to resort to Time Machine in some cases.

I check NI Service Center now and then, but no updates for longer than I can ever remember in my history of dealing with NI. Surely Komplete X is around the corner (September).

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Haven't tried the workaround that Sample Modeling posted on the website (duplicating the ".nkx" file in the Trombone 3.0 folder and then renaming the duplicate with a ".nicnt")

However, there is another workaround you can use - load an instrument from The Trombone
into K5, then save it as a DP user preset. The next time you launch DP and open Kontakt 5, you can just load the user preset.

I've made user presets for all of my K5 libraries....instruments from the Sonic Couture libraries, Vir2's Electricity guitars, Sample Modeling's Trombone and Trumpet, Gospel Musicians Rhodes
and Wurlies, etc. It actually saves time because I don't have to load different libraries once K5 is open.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Now I remember it was some of the Sampletekk libraries that gave me the most problems, even though they're recently updated. It did no good to resave the monolith patches as it still struggles on each fresh reload, to find things, and I have to have my backup drive ready (and remember to not overwrite certain files).

It's no big deal for me as I'm too busy recording live bands/musicians right now to have much time for VI's. I figure by the time I'm in VI land again (late SEP or OCT) we'll probably be close to Komplete X and a Kontakt update that fixes things (for those who buy Komplete X at least).