Finally leaving 10.6.8 ... need a little advice

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
davedempsey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Finally leaving 10.6.8 ... need a little advice

Post by davedempsey »

Ok, so I'm at the inevitable point where the desire to use a new piece of software requires that I move from Snow Leopard - (the latest plug in my Mercury bundle: Vitamin, requires 10.7 or above) - I've decided to bite the bullet and install the 10.9.2 update.
Given the products listed in my below signature I'd be happy for a heads up from anyone who may know of issues I may be facing. Obviously I'll be keeping a 10.6.8 partition ... any advice greatly appreciated :)
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
artfarm1

Re: Finally leaving 10.6.8 ... need a little advice

Post by artfarm1 »

I just went to OSX 10.8.5 from OSX 10.6.8 for the same reasons... had to get better software for what I'm doing.

I haven't had any problems at all, and am dubious about diving into Mavericks after reading about all the little problems. 10.8.5 is real solid.

I've stayed on DP 8.0.5 too. I went back to 8.0.5 after the latest version wouldn't allow me to load some previous video that I needed to work with. So, maybe be sure to keep DP 8.0.5 on a backup disk somewhere!

I always heed Craig Andertons' advice from years ago:"...sometimes it's wise to be using 'trailing-edge' technology when you're work depends on it. Let someone else do the experimenting and beta-testing."
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I agree with antfarm. OS X 10.8.5 and DP 8.0.5 is a sweet spot for me. As stable as anything I can remember. I can have DP, Cuemix, Logic and DSP-Q all running at the same time for days with PDF manuals open, and Mail and Safari in the background.

I started building a 10.9.2 test partition but gave up on it. No showstoppers, but lots lot little annoying things.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

So, if I buy the SSD to use as a startup, I would copy (or clone) my current OSX 10.6.8 to the SSD (make bootable) and then buy and install 10.8.5 over 10.6.8 on the SSD, correct?

This would leave my current main HD alone and still have 10.6.8 available.

I'm also assuming for the update in this scenario that the SSD would have to be selected as the actual startup drive prior to the ML install.

I'm still a few weeks away, probably.

Merci...

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Hi, Buzzy!

I've been very happy with this process for several upgrades on my MacBook Pros. Here's what I did:

1. Purchase SSD with cheap USB 3.0 enclosure from OWC (macsales.com).
2. Use Carbon Copy Cloner (It's cheap or free) to clone your present drive to new SSD.
3. Repair permissions on the new SSD, and if I remember correctly, it really helps to change the startup disk to the external SSD and test boot from it before the next step.
4. Using instructional video on OWC's website, open up your computer and swap the new SSD with your current drive (which you put in the external usb enclosure). Handy Tip: As you remove screws from your computer, put identical screws from each stage of disassembly into one "cup" of a styrofoam egg carton. Use a different consecutive cup for each stage, then it's easy to go backwards to reassemble computer. Reassemble computer.
5. Important: At this point I've often had trouble getting the computer to boot up from the new internal SSD. The key seems to be to hold down the option key while booting up, and selecting the new SSD as startup disk. If this doesn't work, boot up from your old drive, which is in the external USB enclosure, then go to system preferences and change startup disk to the new internal one.
6. The first time you successfully boot up from the SSD, you may be disappointed at how long it takes, but after a couple of boots, and maybe repairing permissions again, it gets really fast!
7. I've always had to re-authorize DP after finishing this process, but almost all other software on my computer works right away.
8. Now you are ready to upgrade to a newer version of OSX on your new internal SSD without having to worry about losing the ability to use any of your old software. Even if you somehow totally wrecked the system on your SSD, you can simply re-clone your original SL setup from the external drive back to the SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner. You can try several different OSX versions risk-free! And of course, any software that can't be run successfully in your new version of OSX can still be run by rebooting from the external Snow Leopard drive.
9. After installing an OSX upgrade, I always reboot and repair permissions once or twice. At first, the new OSX may boot up very slowly, but then should get faster after several boots.
10. Of course if you have a MacPro instead of a laptop, you don't need to purchase an external USB 3 enclosure with your new drive....Simply install the new SSD inside the MacPro.

Doug
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Wow. Thanks!

It is a Mac Pro.

Printing out your post!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

bayswater wrote:I agree with antfarm. OS X 10.8.5 and DP 8.0.5 is a sweet spot for me. As stable as anything I can remember. I can have DP, Cuemix, Logic and DSP-Q all running at the same time for days with PDF manuals open, and Mail and Safari in the background.
Agree with this too!
I can have numerous instances of MachFive 3, Kontakt Player, and PLAY all running at the same time (and looking at a QuickTime video too!)

The only crash I've had so far happened was when I made a couple of rapid settings changes to a 3rd party plugin while DP was in 'play'. (But, that particular plugin did the same thing in earlier versions of DP too. Maybe I should try the VST version.... anyways, it's only happened once.)
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com