MOTU Precision delay used as a comb filter

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Precision delay used as a comb filter

Post by crduval »

This is probably not news to most of you, but this little trick worked well for me so I thought I'd share just in case.

I was tracking guitar and had mic'ed two separate cabinets with different mics with the intention of mixing them together to create a composite sound. The result was not quite what I was hoping for. Mixing the two sounds did not sound better than one of the two tracks by itself.

So, I applied the MOTU precision delay to one of the mic'ed tracks and used it to gradually change the phase relationship between the two tracks - not to try to perfectly align their phase, but instead as a way of EQ'ing the composite sound. As you change the phase you get this kind of complex comb filter which can give you some interesting results. In my case I was able to get a pretty aggressive guitar sound that was better than either individual track and sat in the rough mix nicely without needing much additional EQ.

This was the first time I used this plug and it was really simple and effective. It's analogous to changing relative mic positions.

This technique could also work well when trying to combine a mic'ed track with a direct track run through an amp sim.

Happy tracking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller