No MIDI to my computer / Can't record MIDI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Kachinastudios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

No MIDI to my computer / Can't record MIDI

Post by Kachinastudios »

Hi, I have racked my brains on this one. My old Mac died so I had to get another one. I was running a G3 with OSX-9 and DP 3.5 and a serial port. Everything worked fine on that system. But I can't get it to work on this rig. I can't get MIDI data into my computer. I have a Power Mac G4 dual possessor 867 (Quicksliver) with 1.25 Gig Ram and 10.2 OSX. I'm using DP 4.5 and I MOTU MTP-AV USB interface. I checked all my cables I get MIDI into the interface but not to DP. If I play old MIDI files it will play back though my sound module fine. I can control my sound modules and outboard effects (Program changes) So I'm getting MIDI out. If I set my MTP-AV to direct cable out my sound module will play when I play my controller but still nothing to the computer. I can record and play back audio fine with a MOTU 2408. I don't know if its in DP or in coremidi. I'm at a loss at this point.
stubbsonic

Re: No MIDI to my computer / Can't record MIDI

Post by stubbsonic »

You will want to make sure you have the appropriate driver installed for that system & interface. That can be gotten at the MOTU site (if you haven't already).

Next, there is a utility called "Audio MIDI Setup" that resides in the Applications/Utilities folder. It is likely that you need to launch that, open the MIDI window, and add the devices that are missing from that configuration. You then need to connect the virtual MIDI cable from the controller to the interface. That might fix it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Re: No MIDI to my computer / Can't record MIDI

Post by Shooshie »

Have you checked in Apple's Audio MIDI Setup? Sometimes there are clues to be found there.

It sounds like something may be wrong in your files or settings in the computer. There are so many links in the chain from MIDI keyboard to MIDI track, and any one of them can prevent MIDI from reaching the track if it's not set properly. Since you're not familiar with OSX and DP 4.5, I'm guessing that you just need to pull out the little DP manual (the setup manual) and go over all the I/O settings very carefully.

It occurs to me that someone needs to make a simple checklist of every possible setting that could make or break a MIDI connection, in the order that signals reach them from MIDI keyboard to a track in DP. Not me, not today. Maybe some day. Meanwhile, the manuals do cover everything.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|