Izotope RX3 vs Soundsoap 3...anybody tried both?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
tonomud
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Izotope RX3 vs Soundsoap 3...anybody tried both?

Post by tonomud »

I need a de-noiser. I'm currently testing the 10-day trial of RX3 and am getting really good results. The $250 current price tag is do-able, but if I could spend less and get either the standalone Soundsoap 3 for $80 or complete package for $150, I'd rather save the $100-$170 and go that route. But, there's no SS3 trial, apparently, so I can't do a fair comparison. I'm primarily concerned with the noise removal abilities...having an AU plugin is nice, but not required, as my usage for any of these products is hopefully a infrequent (1-2 projects a year) thing. I have a friend that has used the previous version of Soundsoap for recordings done in the exact same room that I'm dealing with now with good results.

Have any of you out there used both of these products and can report on whether the premium is justified for RX3? Or whether I should just go for the $80 SS3 and save the rest of my cash.

I'm open to considering other products in the sub-$250 price range, especially if there's a demo.
iMac 2017 4.2 i7, 32 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12.6
DP 9.52
Motu 896mk3 hybrid, True Systems Precision 8, Apogee Rosetta 800
dave pine

Re: Izotope RX3 vs Soundsoap 3...anybody tried both?

Post by dave pine »

rx3 all the way.... soundsoap is a farse.... and horrible company.... unless you like getting ripped off
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

btw.... audio deluxe has rx3 on sale right now for $210
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
tonomud

Post by tonomud »

thanks for your advice. and thanks for the tip on audio deluxe....that definitely helps tip the scales in RX3's direction.
iMac 2017 4.2 i7, 32 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.12.6
DP 9.52
Motu 896mk3 hybrid, True Systems Precision 8, Apogee Rosetta 800
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

soundsoap is a toy, rx3 is a tool
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have not tried the current version of Sound Soap. When BIAS had so many issues, most caused by not following the Apple Toolkit, I gave up, went to RX and found that it did more, better.

RX 2 allowed me to take a copy of a cassette and turn it into a CD master - and then do it on others. I have since upgraded to RX 3 and find it worth every penny.

Izotope has dropped the price on RX 3 this month. I would shop around any reseller you use. There are some bargains out there. Price goes back up soon.

Even though I have an upgrade path to Sound Soap 3 (being a previously frustrated BIAS customer), I am not interested.

When you purchase and authorize RX 3, you may have an issue with the demo reappearing. This is caused by the uninstaller not always working in Mavericks. Izotope hasn't fixed this yet. I know where the uninstaller is and how to fix this manually - takes a few minutes. If the evaluation screen goes away, there is no issue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
fsheinfeld

Post by fsheinfeld »

I haven't tried them extensively, but the few times I gave Soundsoap a chance to get rid of some pops it didn't work at all and RX fixed them perfectly. So my vote goes to RX3.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

With the one exception of broadband noise, RX3 Advanced is the tops (in the under $2000 market). Broadband noise is my least common issue so that doesn't concern me -- you might look at the recent UAD ports of the TC Electronic suite, Sonnox, etc. I haven't tried it yet in RX3; only in RX2 (again, I rarely have the need). They may finally be tops across all categories.

When RX originally came out, I would say SoundSoap Advanced had better broadband reduction overall. I haven't had a chance to use SoundSoap 3 yet, but my recollection is that it doesn't pull from the Advanced suite but rather the under-$100 cheap version. In which case, even the regular version of RX3 would be way better.

For broadband noise, however, it is rare that just one tool will do, due to how many types of noise exist and how hard it is to tweak an algorithm or a toolkit to excel at all categories of broadband noise reduction.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH