filter sweep?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
31flies
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

filter sweep?

Post by 31flies »

Hey All,

I don't really know what to call the effect I'm looking for so I'll say filter sweep? You hear it in techno a lot...4 on the floor kick pounding away, etc...and then it's like a car door is slammed- music trapped inside, and the sound is muffled, swooshes around, builds back to the forefront and then BOOM, back to full mix. I'd like to apply it to a piece of stereo audio. Using DP 7.24, can anyone shoot me in the direction of what DP has in there to help me achieve this?

Thanks everyone!
Tritonemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: filter sweep?

Post by Tritonemusic »

Try the Multimode Filter.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
dix

Post by dix »

I'm not wild about the multimode filter so I usually will automate it by putting an EQ (MW or Classic) on the master and then writing or drawing in a curve that starts out only letting subsonic information though and then ramps up to full frequency.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

dix wrote:I'm not wild about the multimode filter so I usually will automate it by putting an EQ (MW or Classic) on the master and then writing or drawing in a curve that starts out only letting subsonic information though and then ramps up to full frequency.
Well, I've used it for that purpose in the past and have gotten great results. I just have to use the right combination of controls, depending on the program material. The Resonance control is kind of a nice option to have. I'm not saying it's always fantastic, but I'm wondering why you don't care for the plug. Just curious. I've used MW EQ for that too, by the way. I really think they sound completely different and it just depends on what the music sounds like.
dix

Post by dix »

I'm wondering why you don't care for the plug.
Oh, it's okay. I just sometimes get unexpected results from Multimode Filter that can be harsh and hard to control. My go-to for this type of thing is SoundToys (Filter Freak).
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

dix wrote:Oh, it's okay. I just sometimes get unexpected results from Multimode Filter that can be harsh and hard to control.
I can't argue with that. I know it's an old plug-in, but sometimes I reach for the original PSP Nitro, and use those filters. They have different emulations. It's interesting how a simple sweep can sound so different depending on what you use.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Sweeps are a common feature in dance
and electronic music. The majority of the
time a sweep is not just a filter sweep..it
includes noise. You need a synthesizer generated
noise which is then swept with a filter.
This can be "overlayed" with the music
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Try automating the low pass filter in MW EQ. Once you've figured out what frequency range that you'd like to sweep, write it via automation and tailor the time of the sweep to taste. This will get you in the ballpark. You can add phasers, flangers, mod filters, etc. to enhance the effect as well. It's all about being creative so have fun!
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas