VST vs Audiounits

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VST vs Audiounits

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:There are some old 32bit AU plugs that no longer work in 64bit as expected.
You can always run the AUs in 32 Lives. I've found 32 Lives to be pretty good now. A lot of older AUs work, including... lol... Plugsound Pro! A blast from the past, but it's kind of fun to see it running fine. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

I recall the guy from AudioDamage being very vocal on the subject in one of his (typically) curmudgeonly posts. AD develops for both standards and he believes VST the better default choice whenever you have a choice between versions.

I think the advice earlier was spot on: If you are dealing with a plug in from a primarily Windows developer, the VST version is likely the stronger choice.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Supersonic, if I understood your question, it's not whether AU or VST is better in some way, but whether DP users would be concerned if developers stopped producing AU versions of future plugins.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Prime Mover wrote:Gotta disagree, David. It may not be a big enough point to fret about, but there can be such a thing as an objectively better or worse standard. If memory handling and CPU usage is streamlined, then you can easily have one flavor that I would think you can call superior. Yes, there is the inherent comfortability factor as well, but I don't believe it's wrong to point to one or the other and be able to make a judgement call... though I doubt many here can make that kind of judgement.
My point is, developers should man up and deal with AU issues, or they shouldn't be in
the development business. If you're going to do an AU version, then you've made your bed
so to speak.

I don't feel sorry for developers.

AU was Apple's plug-in and VI protocol. At least Apple came up with it. Microsoft's idea of an audio standard was .wma, but it couldn't be applied to plug-ins and VI's.

Anyway, thankfully us DP users don't have to be concerned. We can use either VST or AU.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I thought about starting to use VSTs for possible Windows compatibility, but then I realized I don't really exchange projects with anyone running DP for Windows, so I've fallen back on AU.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

It's always something. It seems that the "best" is most often the opposite of what I'm using, and yet I'm still at it. I've heard developers complain loudly about DP, too.
DP10.13
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Does sort of remind me of being a web designer, actually. The independent W3C spends a lot of time creating these really nice logical standards and try to get all browser developers to be on board with, but time and time again, Microsoft thinks it "knows better" and IE doesn't adhere. It's gotten better, but back when I was doing a lot more commercial web design, it was a nightmare, and you practically had to build the site from scratch twice.

Now, this isn't as egregious, as no one expects all plugin types to be equal, but it's easy to understand that one ends up becoming the "Primary" that developers always hold up as the standard, and the other is just a nuisance.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

So as a layman I spent the first couple years when AU came out on OSXAudio, and a lot of developers at one point would chime in:

FXPansion: AU is a PITA because it only supports OSX and requires a complete rewrite of the GUI code for a plug in to port it from VST. They acknowledged that VST wasn't a holy grail either, They developed the AU wrapper for VSTs, and have long since stopped upgrading it because 99% of OSX VST plug ins also have an AU version now. (Side note, the porting technology is still used, and that might be responsible for the very slight CPU hit that AU gives. The hit is less than 3% from what I recall, and not worth mentioning IMO)

Audio Damage: The developer doesn't do much talking, it's mainly the graphic guy, and their development environment that they first test on is Nuendo, Windows, VST. The Graphic guy has a lot of opinions, including that DP is the most impenetrable DAW he's run across.

Uh-He: Urs Heckman started developing because Audio Unit development papers are super easy to get into apparently compared to VSTi. His first "pro" synth Zebra 1 was AU only. Unlike the FXPansion guys or Audio Damage he prefers AU because if the guidelines are followed, it tends to not need as much debugging. This I would guess is easier for him because he's not trying to port VST GUI code to AU, and failing AU tests in DP and Logic etc.

The main reason for AU development was to get away from being beholden to Steinberg. Cubase is always the first to run the latest version of VST smoothly because Steinberg may publish great information on plug in development, the hosting is always geared towards a certain DAW. This IMO is why you see DP8 and the newly released Bitwig Studio not supporting VST3. I think it's at about 50% adoption among plug in developers but hosts wise it's only two or three… AU also was developed because Apple felt that VST plug in developers where leaving Windows code in by mistake, causing VST to crash on OSX but not Windows. Basically the end user would blame OSX as a lousy environment for plug ins if they used VST. This is why the AU validation test exists. I can attest to having way more crashes using VST in Logic than when AU was developed. VST does offer developers some shortcuts when porting a Windows VST to OSX, and that's going to appeal to developers even with possible bug fixing because of incompatibilities. AU offers no such thing, your C++ code will require an entirely new GUI.

All that said, AU needs to be updated, Logic is probably holding that back though, but the failure of VST3 to be widely adopted is IMO also holding that back for Apple. Why bother releasing a new version that causes developers hassle when they aren't adopting the universal standard VST when it presents a new version?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
reedster

Post by reedster »

mhschmieder wrote:Does anyone have links handy for developer packs for each standard? I'm curious now to look at the code and evaluate it.
xcode updates and apple moving some things around seems to have made the audio unit information a little obscure. Hope the below is of some use.

building an audio unit in xcode without starting from a template:
http://sample-hold.com/2011/11/23/getti ... ode-4-2-1/

note the: "EDIT for XCode 4.3.2 users:" paragraph - seems to still pertain to xcode 5.1 and led me to here from xcode:

https://developer.apple.com/downloads/i ... 0Xcode%20-
Look for Audio Tools for Xcode Oct 2013

Core Audio Utility Classes:
http://tinyurl.com/o4frs3n
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

I've loaded in a VST version of a plugin instead of the AU when it had the capability to do something the AU version wouldn't do.

I've discovered that certain VST versions will be better at responding to the 'MIDI learn' function.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Michael Canavan wrote:So as a layman I spent the first couple years when AU came out on OSXAudio, and a lot of developers at one point would chime in:

FXPansion: AU is a PITA because it only supports OSX and requires a complete rewrite of the GUI code for a plug in to port it from VST. They acknowledged that VST wasn't a holy grail either, They developed the AU wrapper for VSTs, and have long since stopped upgrading it because 99% of OSX VST plug ins also have an AU version now. (Side note, the porting technology is still used, and that might be responsible for the very slight CPU hit that AU gives. The hit is less than 3% from what I recall, and not worth mentioning IMO)

Audio Damage: The developer doesn't do much talking, it's mainly the graphic guy, and their development environment that they first test on is Nuendo, Windows, VST. The Graphic guy has a lot of opinions, including that DP is the most impenetrable DAW he's run across.

Uh-He: Urs Heckman started developing because Audio Unit development papers are super easy to get into apparently compared to VSTi. His first "pro" synth Zebra 1 was AU only. Unlike the FXPansion guys or Audio Damage he prefers AU because if the guidelines are followed, it tends to not need as much debugging. This I would guess is easier for him because he's not trying to port VST GUI code to AU, and failing AU tests in DP and Logic etc.

The main reason for AU development was to get away from being beholden to Steinberg. Cubase is always the first to run the latest version of VST smoothly because Steinberg may publish great information on plug in development, the hosting is always geared towards a certain DAW. This IMO is why you see DP8 and the newly released Bitwig Studio not supporting VST3. I think it's at about 50% adoption among plug in developers but hosts wise it's only two or three… AU also was developed because Apple felt that VST plug in developers where leaving Windows code in by mistake, causing VST to crash on OSX but not Windows. Basically the end user would blame OSX as a lousy environment for plug ins if they used VST. This is why the AU validation test exists. I can attest to having way more crashes using VST in Logic than when AU was developed. VST does offer developers some shortcuts when porting a Windows VST to OSX, and that's going to appeal to developers even with possible bug fixing because of incompatibilities. AU offers no such thing, your C++ code will require an entirely new GUI.

All that said, AU needs to be updated, Logic is probably holding that back though, but the failure of VST3 to be widely adopted is IMO also holding that back for Apple. Why bother releasing a new version that causes developers hassle when they aren't adopting the universal standard VST when it presents a new version?
This was a fantastic post. Thanks.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Michael Canavan wrote:VST does offer developers some shortcuts when porting a Windows VST to OSX, and that's going to appeal to developers even with possible bug fixing because of incompatibilities. AU offers no such thing, your C++ code will require an entirely new GUI.
When writing in the Cocoa environment, you can compile things easily for Windows and Mac from the same project. Is there no carry-over when doing AU (in Cocoa) to VST? Seems as though most components of a GUI should be reusable in either version. But I know absolutely nothing about how VST plugins are written, so maybe that's just not the case here.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Shooshie wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:VST does offer developers some shortcuts when porting a Windows VST to OSX, and that's going to appeal to developers even with possible bug fixing because of incompatibilities. AU offers no such thing, your C++ code will require an entirely new GUI.
When writing in the Cocoa environment, you can compile things easily for Windows and Mac from the same project. Is there no carry-over when doing AU (in Cocoa) to VST? Seems as though most components of a GUI should be reusable in either version. But I know absolutely nothing about how VST plugins are written, so maybe that's just not the case here.

Shoosh
From the Cocoa Wiki:
There are also open source implementations of major parts of the Cocoa framework that allows cross-platform (including Microsoft Windows) Cocoa application development, such as GNUstep, and Cocotron.
While to me or you this might read as "Develop in Apple's Cocoa framework, then easily port.." but it never is easy. Plus both those porting frameworks are open source…. Mostly developers get the Windows and Mac OS VST working properly then port to AU. Mostly developers start in Windows and port to OSX, so using a native OSX framework that has some nods to Windows in the open source community isn't going to work so well for them.

Urs and U-He may be one of the few companies to do Cocoa first, and their stability on OSX is a testament to that.

Plus Cocoa as a 100% thing in GUI development is relatively new from what I recall? Funny story is Steinberg were getting complaints from people about their slow GUI on OSX about 7 years ago and they retorted on their forums that the 100% Cocoa build they made in house was about five times more sluggish! This of course was years ago, but it outlines why the slow adoption of Cocoa by the industry happened.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:Funny story is Steinberg were getting complaints from people about their slow GUI on OSX about 7 years ago and they retorted on their forums that the 100% Cocoa build they made in house was about five times more sluggish! This of course was years ago, but it outlines why the slow adoption of Cocoa by the industry happened.
I remember that too well. The annoying thing was Cubase graphics were so much more sluggish than with similarly complex Mac programs. And you had to wonder what the programmers were up to. Now and then you'd get an error dialog, not only in German, but actually in a Windows style dialog box, as if they'd actually hard coded a windows formatted box, and didn't know about localization. It all seems to be fixed now.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Unfortunately, I've hit two showstopper problems since I made my request for developer toolkit links, so I can't look at them right now (also, my Apple Developer ID only works from one specific computer and login credentials so I don't think I can do this from home).

Thanks for the links though. Maybe in a few weeks I can look at them. I feel like Mavericks is the most unstable OS I have used in a decade or more, from any vendor.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH