VST vs Audiounits

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

VST vs Audiounits

Post by supersonic »

Hi everyone

I am in the middle of an interesting conversation with a developer of the MeldaProduction plugs-in which I am very fond of and after a few recent hick-ups with the latest updates concerning the AU version of the plug-ins he has admitted it is not the most comfortable format to work with. Since we now have the possibility to switch to VST in DP I will do that at least for his plug-ins but I would take this opportunity to ask you how you tackle the subject. Have simply continued to use AU as before or have some of you switched to VST for some, perhaps all the plug-ins?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
bayswater

Re: VST vs Audiounits

Post by bayswater »

I do use VSTs now and then, and have never had a problem with them. If an AU was not available, it would make no difference to me. That said, I don't see how anyone making plugins could drop the AU format and lose the Logic and GB base which is very large.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I also use both AU's and VST's,some developers have actually told me if given a choice they recommend using VST's,of course ymmv but overall I think both work well.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

I mainly use AUs. Hey, I'm on the Mac, I will probably always be on a Mac (as long as Apple keeps making them), and that's the Mac standard. However, if I found out that the VST version of a plug-in did something that I wanted or needed, of course, I would take advantage of the special features of the VST version in that case.

Mike
billf

Post by billf »

I use mainly AU, and like others have said, use VST on rare occasions.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I use Au for backwards compatibility. VSTi's can send MID date if they have a sequencer or arp built in to them and the developer decided to implement that. AU's currently cannot. So Geist, and Reaktor I have as VST.
Urs Heckman who Makes Zebra and Diva among other plug ins, got his start on AU, and there are still developers that first code the AU version. If all you care about is stability generally speaking you could go with VST when the developer is primarily a Windows coder, or prefers Windows etc. Reaktor started off as Windows only, and it took years for the AU port to work properly so VST might be a better choice there.

This brings up the oddities in DP's implementation of both platforms? No other DAW I know of asks for one to be primary? Live has plug in wide on/off states for AU and VST. Plus it seems now you can have both available, but in the drop down menu, it just says:
Reaktor
Reaktor
Reaktor
Reaktor

For the AU and VST versions… The pop out chooser window shows AU or VST though.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

supersonic wrote:I am in the middle of an interesting conversation with a developer of the MeldaProduction plugs-in which I am very fond of and after a few recent hick-ups with the latest updates concerning the AU version of the plug-ins he has admitted it is not the most comfortable format to work with.
That's interesting. I really liked his freebie "Notes" plug-in that let you just keep text notes about a project with it, but it was AU and it caused crashing for me. If he has a VST instead, I may give that a whirl. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

According to Vojtech from Meldaproduction The AU unit standard is not the best written standard and VST is, from his point of view, a better environment to code in. I think the freebies are in VST format also. Also he mentioned the AU units having a slight CPU overhang. I might give that notion a try to see if a fully loaded project in AU performs better in VST. One of the quirks of DP is that once up you use a plug-in in given format and change it in the plug-ins manager to another, it will still be looking for the other format used in a project and report it missing. It would be cool if it simply recognized the new format and load the plug in as if nothing happened.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Ya know, I've heard similar things. It's not a hot issue, but whenever it comes up, I usually hear VST being praised over AU. I gather it's slightly more sophisticated, have a few features that AU doesn't have (though probably because of that, no one implements them). That said, VST has sort of stagnated as developers have refused to adopt VST3 en mass, and I hear Steinberg's getting frustrated.

But VST is new to DP. I'm kind of shocked that there haven't been a few bumps in the road. I've been subtly avoiding it just because it's new and untested. However, I have never had any issues with any VSTs... in fact, I'm considering switching a few plugins over that currently aren't working correctly in AU format.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

UA tech support actually told me that if given the choice between AU and VST they feel VST is more stable with their plugs.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
billf

Post by billf »

supersonic wrote:Also he mentioned the AU units having a slight CPU overhang
Thanks for sharing this.

Yikes! Are there any benchmark tests we can see that support that? How is such a thing possible given that Apple designs the Mac, OSX, and AU? Also how many AU's would someone need to run before it starts to have a serious impact on CPU performance?
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There are some old 32bit AU plugs that no longer work in 64bit as expected. The VST versions work with JBridge in DP 8 64bit - a welcome surprise.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Developers who say VST is the better standard
are just more comfortable with it.

Benchmark comparison tests would be a
waste of time. How many AU's can you
run at a time? It depends on which ones
you're using. CPU consumption varies
from plug to plug and VI to VI. It isn't a
matter of whether AU or VST is inherently
better or worse.

Who cares. Use VST or AU,
whichever you like.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Gotta disagree, David. It may not be a big enough point to fret about, but there can be such a thing as an objectively better or worse standard. If memory handling and CPU usage is streamlined, then you can easily have one flavor that I would think you can call superior. Yes, there is the inherent comfortability factor as well, but I don't believe it's wrong to point to one or the other and be able to make a judgement call... though I doubt many here can make that kind of judgement.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Does anyone have links handy for developer packs for each standard? I'm curious now to look at the code and evaluate it.

This is a good time for me to consider switching to VST from AU, as I've been focused mostly on live playing, composing, and practicing acoustic instruments these past six months, so when I get back to recording in earnest next month, it won't throw me off if I make some changes to my routine.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH