How to assign general MIDI?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
nickysnd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How to assign general MIDI?

Post by nickysnd »

Howdy!

It's been a while... I haven't used DP for some time and now I have a little project that needs to be exported as MIDI and play correctly on MIDI players. Which means GM of course. What's the best way to go about it? I'm on DP7, MacPro, OSX 10.6

Thanks!
Mac mini Apple M1 ♦ 8GB RAM ♦ MacOS 14.4.1 ♦ Focusrite Scarlett Solo ♦ DP 11.31
stubbsonic

Re: How to assign general MIDI?

Post by stubbsonic »

I'd suggest you add an instrument track with the Apple DLS music device (or you can put it in a V-Rack). It is Apple's GM soft synth. Not great sounds, but pretty useful in a pinch. That way you can test your sequences and make sure the sounds are what you are expecting.

In order for the track to play in GM, you'll need to put some patch change messages in each of the tracks. It's not enough just to select the Default Patch. You have to insert a PC message in the track. It's easiest if you rewind to the start of the sequence, then open the event list editor and add a Patch Change there. Set the number based on the GM standard patch list.

So if channel 1 is a piano, put a PC #1 in there. There's a table of GM sounds. Each channel gets its own program change until you are out of distinct tracks. If you want to combine tracks to a single channel, just make sure there won't be any note-on/note-off conflicts (overlapping ranges).

I'd suggest you put all the drum tracks on channel 10 unless there is something special that is not included in GM drums.

Now when you SAVE AS... a standard MIDI file, it will have those PCs in the tracks.

I think that's all you need.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
nickysnd

Post by nickysnd »

Thank you!
reedster

Post by reedster »

Here's a GM patch number table:

http://www.voidaudio.net/gminstrument.html
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
nickysnd

Post by nickysnd »

Sweet, thanks!

I needed this though: Control + Option + Command + 8 :wink: