Wow - No Brainer Deal on MH ChannelStrip $30

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Wow - No Brainer Deal on MH ChannelStrip $30

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:I'm finding that many people still aren't aware that iLok License Manager can install iLok licenses on your Mac itself instead of an actual iLok.
Are you saying that you can actually USE the license deposited on your Mac? Or is it just a storage/transfer sort of thing? Seems that would render their iLoks unnecessary, unless you want the portability aspect of it. That would suck up their profits.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Not all developers and Pace protected software products have this option available.
I assume Pace/iLok makes most of their $$ from the license fees they must collect from the software companies when we buy the Plugs they protect.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I just got my email from Metric Halo for the Channel Strip. The odd thing is I didn't order it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:
James Steele wrote:I'm finding that many people still aren't aware that iLok License Manager can install iLok licenses on your Mac itself instead of an actual iLok.
Are you saying that you can actually USE the license deposited on your Mac? Or is it just a storage/transfer sort of thing? Seems that would render their iLoks unnecessary, unless you want the portability aspect of it. That would suck up their profits.

Shoosh
Yes. I don't know if it's all plugs, but ones I have presented the option to authorize the computer itself instead of the physical iLok.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Two different, unrelated things being talked about here:

1. Redemption code means that the software manufacturer no longer needs to know your iLok handle to send you a license. They send you a redepmtion code that you use to redeem your license using the iLok manager software. (This is what I was referring to in response to James' post. I wasn't talking about dongle vs. disk-based at all.)

2. iLok licenses can generally be deposited in two ways - as a computer-based authorization (like the old-school hard disk authorizations) OR as a license in your physical iLok dongle. For most software manufacturers using iLok protection you generally now have both options. One of course allows you to carry your licenses from computer to computer using your iLok dongle, the other allow you to use iLok protected software on one machine without using any dongles.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks Kubi. Yes, I have to apologize. I *assumed* that all plugs allowed a hard disk authorization option in iLok License Manager (I'd call it ILM, but ILM will always mean Industrial Light & Magic when I see it), but I was incorrect. That is up to the plug-in developer.

I don't want to tangle with the anti-iLok crowd, but iLok (using the dongle) really has become my preferred authorization scheme and when presented a choice between disc-based or iLok.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Splinter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Splinter »

Any comments on how this plug sounds? I used to own it years and years ago, but MH wanted like $250 to upgrade it from V1 to V2. I was so irritated after having spent like $350 on it, I just dropped it. I did like it, but just can't remember what I had used it on or how it sounded. For $30 however, I maybe more inclined to rebuy. Now it looks as if MH has changed there upgrade policy to $49, but you can do the math. This is a steal, if it is worth it and upgraded it to today's standards.
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

All I can remember is that I liked the way it sounded years ago. Still trying to decide. I have plenty of EQs... You can still get it here for 30 bucks.

http://www.rspeaudio.com/NO-BRAINER-Met ... et-cs3.htm
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4