Triggering Chunk Changes on Next Beat-One (downbeat)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Triggering Chunk Changes on Next Beat-One (downbeat)

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:Now when the measure sends the actual trigger from the DP track to QK and subsequently QK just sends "ENTER" to the counter and bingo bango it goes to the next section.

This all seems doable. The EDIT COUNTER command (initiated by the decimal point) sets the jump to the downbeat of whatever measure is entered. And on my system the jump is instantaneous-- though consistent timing is all that is required.

Bingo bango... them's the words! :lol:

Yep, it should work well, I think. The things that I used to do worked well in concert, but some things have changed a little since then, so I didn't want to say "it works" until someone tested it. I haven't had the chance to do that, even now, but I'll get to it in a day or so.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

One more thing: the triggers don't have to BOTH be MIDI. The last one is MIDI, because that's the one you want DP to trigger to QuicKeys, which will then play the actual shortcut back to DP. But the first one, the one that you trigger yourself, can be a computer keyboard hot key, or any other of about a dozen types of triggers, including MIDI of course. My guess is that you'd want to stick to the computer or MIDI keyboards, but a mouse click could work, too.

Through the use of sticky triggers, using double or triple triggers for each command, QuicKeys gives you almost endless hot-key possibilities. If you're limited to what you can type on the keyboard in the form of Command-Shift-A, for example, then you quickly run out of keys. I have 65 QuicKey shortcuts on the list for DP alone. None of those overlap DP's own commands, which are many.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Can't thank you all enough. This info will be useful not only to my friend, but to me and others I'm sure. Will post back results as they come in.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

We broke my friend's brain.

:shock:
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:We broke my friend's brain.

:shock:
See? That's why I said initially that I was hesitant to teach it to someone. For every one who finds it intoxicating, 100 will turn and run. And I don't blame them. When concert performers and directors would ask me if we could do these things, I rarely said no and nearly always found a way to make it work. I had a reputation to uphold, but it wasn't about that; I just got a huge rush when we'd end up doing what everyone said was "impossible."

Shoosh
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It's not over yet. I boiled it down for him and we're going to continue with some tests.

I'll post here if we get stuck.