REALLY need help on making crescendos

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stephen.guizar
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

REALLY need help on making crescendos

Post by stephen.guizar »

Hey guys, I've been using Digital Performer 7 for quite some time now. I'm a music student at a city college and use it on the public computer, and have made a few compositions, but have *no* idea how to make a decrescendo. I've tried using the pencil tool but all it does is add or drag a note. I've been researching it for hours and cannot find out how, please help?

I've also seen stuff like "using the hairpin tool in the quickscribe section" but i can't find any hairpins. And I've seen "use this or that tool" but also don't know how to get to said tool. I'm lost.
stubbsonic

Re: REALLY need help on making crescendos

Post by stubbsonic »

If what you want is to HEAR the decrescendo, you would add MIDI Continuous Control #7 to your MIDI track. Done correctly this can act like a volume slider for a sustained note.

If you want to SEE the decrescendo hair-pin on the score- open the QuickScribe window (SHIFT-Q) and in the upper right there is a MINI MENU. In that MINI MENU is an item called "Dynamics Palette" . Click the hair-pin tool that matches your need, and then go onto the score and drag a start & end point (left to right).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stephen.guizar

Post by stephen.guizar »

stubbsonic wrote:If what you want is to HEAR the decrescendo, you would add MIDI Continuous Control #7 to your MIDI track. Done correctly this can act like a volume slider for a sustained note.

If you want to SEE the decrescendo hair-pin on the score- open the QuickScribe window (SHIFT-Q) and in the upper right there is a MINI MENU. In that MINI MENU is an item called "Dynamics Palette" . Click the hair-pin tool that matches your need, and then go onto the score and drag a start & end point (left to right).

Okay I never thought that tiny arrow down place at the top right corner of the screen would be the mini menu, so thanks a lot for that! But how the heck do i add MIDI Continuous Control 7 to a track? I'm really not tech savvy D: ugh
stephen.guizar

Post by stephen.guizar »

I found the continuous data in the Region section and am trying to affect "audio volume" but its doing nothing...guess ill just keep trying until someone replies haha
stephen.guizar

Post by stephen.guizar »

I took this class a couple semesters ago and recently came back to hit. Crescendos is something he never taught. And MIDI is the only classes he teaches, which is wednesday nights, so its not like i can go fetch him for help lol.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Do you have access to the DP7 User Guide?
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Check the DP7 Help Menu>Digital Performer Help>Editing. Right, at the top of your screen.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

As you may know, AUDIO and MIDI are treated similarly in DP, but have their big differences.

If you are controlling a software synth (virtual instrument, or VI) and you are looking at notation, then you are dealing with MIDI. So to make a volume change you would need to either record automation in the mixer window, or you can add CC (continuous control) data in the graphic editor.

In DP, automating volume is easier (and better) with audio than with MIDI (in my opinion). But it is still doable.

Also want to clarify one more thing. If you are talking about a bunch of notes and making a crescendo as a series of notes are playing, that can be done by altering the velocities of the notes. A low value would be like 15, and the highest value would be 127.

If you want a sustained note to crescendo, you would use CC #7.

Good luck.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

OP: Hope you got it going, and, your very welcome.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stephen.guizar

Post by stephen.guizar »

Thank you so much guys! I think i got it :)