Can the Dynamics plug-in be used as a peak limiter?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by MikeInBoston »

Hi guys,

There's only one preset in the Limiter category on the Dynamics plug-in called "Up to Zero Limiter". That's obviously not it (I tried it and it starts attenuating way before zero dB). What I want is to stop OVERS on the master so I don't hurt my ears or my speakers when I'm creating sounds on my synths. Are there settings that I can use to do what I need, or is Dynamics the wrong plug-in to use? One of my big gripes with Motu is the lack of plug-in presets to get you started, and in some cases NONE AT ALL. (Jeez, Motu! If you can't do it, then get some pros to do it for you.)

Thanks, guys. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by crduval »

You can use the dynamics plug - there is a limiter setting, but for what you are doing you might want to use the MW limiter. This plug lets you specify a max level that will not be exceeded by the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
HCMarkus

Re: Can the Dynamics plug-in be used as a peak limiter?

Post by HCMarkus »

crduval wrote:for what you are doing you might want to use the MW limiter.
+1
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

crduval wrote:for what you are doing you might want to use the MW limiter.
+1
BTW, you may already know that MW Limiter will introduce *some* latency.

IMHO, Bob Katz book *Mastering audio, the art and the science* is very enlightening on many monitoring levels questions.
It helped improve my workflow and my understanding of levels in digital area.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I will try the MW Limiter, and yes, it's a great book. I own it, too.

Mike
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, MW Limiter is your ticket, though I tend to use multi band limiters myself these days (Waves L3). As for why Dynamics starts compressing before the threshold, virtually all compressors have a "soft knee" of some sort, which is a curve into the ratio just around the threshold. This keeps it sounding less digital and a bit smoother. So even if the threshold was -.5dB, it probably starts compressing as low as -3dB or -2dB, but doesn't get to your 10:1 (or whatever your hard limit ratio is) until -.5dB or maybe even +2dB in this case, since the knee often places the threshold in the middle of the curve.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Thanks, Prime Mover. That's a great explanation as to why the Dynamics Limiter was attenuating the sound before it hit zero dB.

Mike