Data in the sequence editor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
swpowe
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Data in the sequence editor

Post by swpowe »

One of the difficult things I've found with DP is the sequence editor. I like being able to view velocity or automation data but not all the time. Right now if I open MIDI data in the sequence editor no matter what I've tried I always see the little "x" for the note velocity. Can this be turned off? I find it way to distracting. It makes it harder for me to see the actual MIDI notes which is what I really want. Is the MIDI editor better for this kind of work?
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Data in the sequence editor

Post by FMiguelez »

You can choose what you want and don't want to see. Use the View Filter command for this.

Just remember (or save) the changes you make in there, so then you don't forget and go crazy looking for things that make a sound but aren't there...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

You can save View Filters using the mini menu in the View Filter dialog so you can switch back and forth easily.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
frankf

Post by frankf »

Try the "Active Layer Only" Command. Assign it to a key command. I use this all the time. Try making a custom group of current MIDI tracks and set up the group so the active layers change for all group members. You eyes will thank you
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

frankf wrote:Try the "Active Layer Only" Command. Assign it to a key command. I use this all the time. Try making a custom group of current MIDI tracks and set up the group so the active layers change for all group members. You eyes will thank you
Good one - thanks. The Show Toggle Active Layer command is definitely the quickest.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

In the mini menu for both Sequence and MIDI edit windows is a choice called "MIDI Edit" - I can't work out what this is for because if you have it ticked on or off you can still edit MIDI in either window. Any ideas?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Guitar Gaz wrote:In the mini menu for both Sequence and MIDI edit windows is a choice called "MIDI Edit" - I can't work out what this is for because if you have it ticked on or off you can still edit MIDI in either window. Any ideas?
Had to look this one up, but that lets you edit with a keyboard/controller. Say you select a note to move up or down - if MIDI Edit is checked, you can hit the key on a keyboard and the selected note is moved to the new note with duration, etc. still intact. Not sure how to edit like that beyond pitch. After all these years, still learning.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

NazRat wrote:
Had to look this one up, but that lets you edit with a keyboard/controller. Say you select a note to move up or down - if MIDI Edit is checked, you can hit the key on a keyboard and the selected note is moved to the new note with duration, etc. still intact. Not sure how to edit like that beyond pitch. After all these years, still learning.
Wow - that's an interesting one and could be useful - thanks for finding that out. As you say - always learning - whether that's a new one or whether its always been there and I was ignorant of it who knows? But thanks - I will try that out later - I can see uses with drum hits for example from other sources with different drum mappings.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.