Automate Velocity Scale via CC

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lydian91
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Automate Velocity Scale via CC

Post by lydian91 »

Hi Everybody!

After using DP in my school's studio for a year, I took the plunge and bought it for my home machine. Glad to be here.

If possible, I'd like to find a way to automate velocity scale either via CC or automation. I often need to automate velocities of drum set parts, since automating CC7 doesn't have the correct effect on fixed decay samples. The problem is automating a crescendo, for example, that keeps the accents and ghost notes (i.e. relative velocities) intact.

While I could use the change velocity function, this is a destructive edit and limits flexibility should I change my mind later on in a project. For this reason, I find it much easier to automate, therefore separating the relative velocities from the global velocity level.

I realize that the MIDI plugins can't be automated, so I was hoping that custom consoles would be the solution. From what I've found, it doesn't seem like they can do what I'm looking for, but perhaps I need to dig a little further.

Does anyone know of a way to get the results I'm looking for?

My current workaround is to host all of my fixed decay samples in Bidule. Within that environment, I set up a chain that controls velocity scale via CC3. This works for now, but once I get a slave machine and start running VE Pro, it would be much easier to have this control over my MIDI data within DP.

Any ideas?
Mac Studio M2 Ultra (192GB RAM) | macOS 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | DP 11.3