PUSHER by KUSH AUDIO

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
corbo-billy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

PUSHER by KUSH AUDIO

Post by corbo-billy »

After UBK-1 & Clariphonic Plug-ins, KUSH AUDIO presents PUSHER _

Possibility of a trial version for 10 days with a redeem code for the iLok _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Dan Worley

Re: PUSHER by KUSH AUDIO

Post by Dan Worley »

Thanks for posting this. I was looking just a few days ago and it wasn't available at that time. UBK-1 is one of my favorite plug-ins of all time so Kush's stuff definitely piques my interest. I also get a kick out the developer. He's brilliant and he makes me laugh. Good combo.

Okay, I have no idea what this thing is or does, but I downloaded the demo and put it on a female vocal track that I thought I was done with, set the preset to Neve Mid Pockets and tweaked a few controls... Magic! Dimension, body, character, all from added distortion... Wonderful!

That's all it took. Goodbye $149.
DP10.13
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

It will not delay me also, I let run the demo on 10 days this time .
Common with the UBK-1 for the compressor _ :)
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Dan Worley wrote:Thanks for posting this. I was looking just a few days ago and it wasn't available at that time. UBK-1 is one of my favorite plug-ins of all time so Kush's stuff definitely piques my interest. I also get a kick out the developer. He's brilliant and he makes me laugh. Good combo.

Okay, I have no idea what this thing is or does, but I downloaded the demo and put it on a female vocal track that I thought I was done with, set the preset to Neve Mid Pockets and tweaked a few controls... Magic! Dimension, body, character, all from added distortion... Wonderful!

That's all it took. Goodbye $149.
Why do I know the same thing is gonna happen to me...?

:koolaid: :smash: :D :headbang: :woohoo:
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Not sure about this one. Still kinda seems to me like it might just be Fabfilter Saturn with more convoluted routing, a more abstract interface and a much more evocatively written manual. But I'll give it a whirl at some point and see if I can make Saturn plus a TG limiter in Metaplugin do what this does.
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Kubi wrote: Why do I know the same thing is gonna happen to me...?

It's made for you, brother. It should be called the UB-Kubi. :wink:
DP10.13
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Nice price on Audiodeluxe _
billf

Post by billf »

corbo-billy wrote:Nice price on Audiodeluxe _
corbo-billy, the $149 price at AudioDeluxe appears to be the same as on the Kush website. Is the price further discounted if you create an account?
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

billf wrote:
corbo-billy wrote:Nice price on Audiodeluxe _
corbo-billy, the $149 price at AudioDeluxe appears to be the same as on the Kush website. Is the price further discounted if you create an account?
Yes.
DP10.13
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Dan Worley wrote:
Kubi wrote: Why do I know the same thing is gonna happen to me...?

It's made for you, brother. It should be called the UB-Kubi. :wink:
Yep it sure should. Nice piece of software.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Dan Worley wrote: UBK-1 is one of my favorite plug-ins of all time
Same here I've only used it on one mix so far but the results were amazing.
I like that his stuff is not an emulation of a real piece hardware but a combination with a bit different functionality.
Can't wait to see a video of what Pusher does.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I downloaded UBK-1, Pusher, and Clariphonic DSP early this morning, and I used them to mix a project today. Since I was on a deadline, I didn't have time to explore them like I do with most plugins, so maybe my findings are inconclusive at this time, but I was only able to use Clariphonic DSP in the final mix.

Pusher just wasn't right for the project, which was essentially upbeat folk/pop and Brazilian. I can see using it on rock, electronic, and lots of other styles where the noise would fit in better, and again, maybe I just haven't explored it enough yet, but it didn't feel right for vocals, guitar, or drums in this project.

UBK-1 did some very nice things, but maybe I over-pushed it. Lots of pumping and lots of noise. I wasn't able to completely eliminate the noise without losing all its effects, so I'm wondering again if I did something wrong. Or is it normally used where noise doesn't matter?

Clariphonic DSP was very nice. It makes quick work of a mix, getting the compression, the "air," and EQ all working together in just a few quick moves. But I ended up using it only on a couple of tracks, because I found that Waves H-EQ and Renaissance Vox got the exact sound I was after without any artifacts, and I was just getting too much grunge in the voice with Clariphonic. But I did use it on a couple of tracks, and I think it contributed nicely to the overall sound. The question I have is whether I really need it, since I really do get what I want with other plugins.

I need to give them my full attention in a longer trial than an hour or two in a mix that was already 90% done. But I couldn't help but try them to see if there was some big thing I was missing. Maybe there is, but I didn't find it today. But there are 9 more days on the trial, so maybe soon.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie,

If you haven't already, watch this video manual for the UBK-1. I don't think it could be explained or demonstrated any better.

http://vimeo.com/31415595
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Thanks, Dan. I haven't seen that. I'll watch it soon. (on the run at the moment)

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Coming back to report on the video. That was a gas! I mean, I'd gotten most (but not all) of the plugin's functions right from experimenting, but to hear Gregory Scott explaining it was a lot of fun. I found myself smiling a lot at his enthusiasm. (some might call that "sales.") Clearly, he knew what he was after when he designed these things, and he enjoys using them.

Probably the most important thing that I missed was that the signal passes from left to right, with each dry/wet selector operating not on pure signal, but on what was passed to it from the last one. So, after it leaves the Saturator, it goes to the Compressor and Density controls, but when you use their dry/wet selectors you're only working with the Saturator's signal, not mixing in pure dry signal. That's important.

I also didn't know you could click the meters for in/out muting of each section's alterations. That's handy, and beats having to dial back your changes to solo the other controls.

Also, the Headroom knob makes more sense now. Its results were clearly audible before, but now I know why, and that should make its use a lot more central to getting the desired results. For those who have forgotten, it dials in or out the functions of all the sections simultaneously. Rather than adjusting each one for a little more or less effect, just add or subtract headroom.

I liked his descriptions and how he related compression effects kinetically. He described the drums as "moving away from him" when too compressed, and how he would bring back the lows to get them to "move toward him" again. Maybe this is a common description among engineers now; it was new to me, and I've been around a lot of engineers, but not for the past 10 years.

Still undecided on whether to buy it. I see what it does now, and I like it, but I seldom have use for it in ways that I can't quickly achieve with other plugins while enabling other kinds of subtle changes that you can't do in UBK-1 (EQ, for example). If I were doing certain kinds of music, this would be THE plugin, I think. I may buy it yet. We'll see about that.

Thanks for pointing out the video.

Shooshie