Superior drummer bounce delays audio

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Superior drummer bounce delays audio

Post by crduval »

I was working in a project using Superior Drummer and used the bounce feature to render audio tracks in preparation for mixing. After bouncing, I dragged the audio files into DP's tracks overview window. No problems.

When I listened back the sound was great but the track felt a little loose. I thought it might have been one of those not seeing the forest through the trees moments where I was obsessing about sound and didn't notice little timing problems, so I checked the kick and snare tracks against the bass guitar track and sure enough they were off. I at first assumed the bass needed to be nudged to match the drums better but then I checked the MIDI drum track and saw that the SD audio had shifted about 25 ticks from the MIDI tracks. I lines the SD audio up with the MIDI and presto, a nice tight rhythm section once again.

I don't know if I might have accidentally nudged those tracks at some point but I doubt it. I'm assuming that latency might have come into play since I bounced the tracks through the SD mixer.

All this to say double check the timing of your SD bounces!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
Bennie Sims
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Superior drummer bounce delays audio

Post by Bennie Sims »

crduval wrote:I was working in a project using Superior Drummer and used the bounce feature to render audio tracks in preparation for mixing. After bouncing, I dragged the audio files into DP's tracks overview window. No problems.

When I listened back the sound was great but the track felt a little loose. I thought it might have been one of those not seeing the forest through the trees moments where I was obsessing about sound and didn't notice little timing problems, so I checked the kick and snare tracks against the bass guitar track and sure enough they were off. I at first assumed the bass needed to be nudged to match the drums better but then I checked the MIDI drum track and saw that the SD audio had shifted about 25 ticks from the MIDI tracks. I lines the SD audio up with the MIDI and presto, a nice tight rhythm section once again.

I don't know if I might have accidentally nudged those tracks at some point but I doubt it. I'm assuming that latency might have come into play since I bounced the tracks through the SD mixer.

All this to say double check the timing of your SD bounces!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same issue here. Just nudge the drum tracks into place.
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.