Where are the user template files?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Where are the user template files?

Post by crduval »

Hi all:

Situation: I created a new template this morning. No sooner had I done so I noticed that I had forgotten to set up an important track group. I did so and tried to save the template with the same name to replace the previous version. DP gave me an error that the template was the same name and wouldn't let me overwrite it. I looked at the trusty manual to see where user templates are stored and nicely enough, the directory path is clearly spelled out for both Mac and PC. Nice. Unfortunately however, there are no user templates at that that location!

I did a search for my template file name but no luck. I easily found the DP supplied templates, but not the ones I set up.

Anyone know where I can find user templates?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
FMiguelez

Re: Where are the user template files?

Post by FMiguelez »

Hmmmm....

It seems you are correct (unfortunately) :?

I just created a user template, and it's nowhere to be found. Spotlight won't find it, and it's not where it's supposed to be.

Restarting DP, in the Welcome Window, I can see the template I created, but nothing happens if I click on it.
Right-clicking reveals a menu with options showing the default templates plus this new one I created, but it's not really there (it's not in the Finder).

I looked in the global Library and Application Support, but it isn't there either.

Does checking the Make it a Default Template option (in the create Template dialog box) change anything?

Sounds like you will have to use a regular project as a template while MOTU fixes this (or while we figure it out).

If someone else confirms this, it would be time to write a tech support ticket, so they MOTU knows about it.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

try: User/Library/Preferences/com.motu.DigitalPerformer/Document Templates

I had to ask MOTU tech support where to find it
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Duh! Of course!!!
There they are.

I automatically went down looking for the usual Digital Performer folder in the preferences one (I never thought it would be a new folder starting with ".com") :roll:

But that doesn't explain why Spotlight didn't find them. I have it set to look for everything except presentations.

I see my laptop has a mess of DP-related folders in the preferences. I have the Digital Performer folder 3 times (one of them with a tm symbol). All of them empty except for one. I suppose they just gathered there throughout the years with the different versions.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
crduval

Post by crduval »

Thanks so much guys I will look at the com.motu.etc folder for the missing templates!

M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
frankf

Post by frankf »

FMiguelez wrote:Duh! Of course!!!
There they are.

I automatically went down looking for the usual Digital Performer folder in the preferences one (I never thought it would be a new folder starting with ".com") :roll:

But that doesn't explain why Spotlight didn't find them. I have it set to look for everything except presentations.

I see my laptop has a mess of DP-related folders in the preferences. I have the Digital Performer folder 3 times (one of them with a tm symbol). All of them empty except for one. I suppose they just gathered there throughout the years with the different versions.
Yes, what confusion! I'd guess the preferences>Digital Performer Folders, of which I have 2, have nothing to do with DP8.06 and may be used by DP7.24, which I still have on my system. I don't want to touch a thing until I'm finished with the current project as DP8.06 is running smoothly right now. I had to ask for help here for finding the new preferences files also.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
crduval

Post by crduval »

I must be missing something, maybe because I run from the administrator login. In any case, I don't have a path from the root directory that matches User/Library/Preferences/com.motu.DigitalPerformer/Document Templates.

I have /Library/Preferences/ but there is no com.motu.DigitalPerformer/Document Templates folder there.

I have Users/ directory, but no Library sub directory.

I have a Library/Application Support/MOTU/Digital Performer/Document Templates folder but those are just the factory packaged templates

I have a Users/Shared/Library/Preferences path, but no DigitalPerformer/Document Templates sub folder.

What is going on here?! :surrender:
Rusty Shackleford

Re: Where are the user template files

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

crduval wrote:I must be missing something, maybe because I run from the administrator login. In any case, I don't have a path from the root directory that matches User/Library/Preferences/com.motu.DigitalPerformer/Document Templates.

I have /Library/Preferences/ but there is no com.motu.DigitalPerformer/Document Templates folder there.

I have Users/ directory, but no Library sub directory.

I have a Library/Application Support/MOTU/Digital Performer/Document Templates folder but those are just the factory packaged templates

I have a Users/Shared/Library/Preferences path, but no DigitalPerformer/Document Templates sub folder.

What is going on here?! :surrender:
I have the same issue; I cannot find where the template files I created are residing. Any other suggestions, anyone? Thanks in advance.
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

It's been a little confusing ever since Apple decided to hide the Library folder.

I highlight my user name in the Finder window's sidebar and option click Go in the Menu bar: the user Library is now in the drop down menu. From there go to Preferences/com.motu.DigitalPerformer/Document Templates. Any templates you've created will be there.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

dinobass wrote:It's been a little confusing ever since Apple decided to hide the Library folder.

I highlight my user name in the Finder window's sidebar and option click Go in the Menu bar: the user Library is now in the drop down menu. From there go to Preferences/com.motu.DigitalPerformer/Document Templates. Any templates you've created will be there.
That's it - thanks, dinobass!
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
crduval

Post by crduval »

This is what I was looking for - thanks very much!