transfer effects and effect settings

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

transfer effects and effect settings

Post by edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp »

How do you transfer effects and effect settings from one mix to another? I’m talking about within a project: mix 1 and mix 2, for example.
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
daniel.sneed

Re: transfer effects and effect settings

Post by daniel.sneed »

Duplicate mix? Lower left corner in mixer window.
More tedious way: Copy-paste? Between individual DP plugin windows.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp

daniel.sneed wrote:Duplicate mix?
No, I don't want to duplicate. I already duplicated it and moved all the levels. Then, I forgot I was working on the duplicated mix and added lots of plug-ins and tweaked levels. So I would like to copy those plug-ins and add them back in to the previous mix.
I guess at this point it will be easier just to change the levels of the new mix, since there are now more plug-ins, they will be different anyway. Thanks for reminding me about duplicate mix, but still, how does one copy say, all the plug-ins in a track and paste them into another mix? I'm familiar with opt cmd drag, but that only works one plug-in at a time and only within the same mix. I have not figured out a way to copy and paste these as a clipping. Any ideas?
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

In the menu bar go to ... project/clippings/ .. and select... 'new digital performer clipping window'.

An untitled clipping window will be created. Move this to a corner of your screen where you can still see it. Then from your mixer window, shift + click to select all the plug-ins on one track/channel; then holding down the alt and command key, drag the clippings over to the clipping window.

Name the clipping that you have created in the clippings window by alt/clicking on it ........ name it the same as the title of the track/channel the plugins came from. Do the same for all the other channels in your mixer that you want to restore.

Change back to your previous mix mode and delete all plugins on the channels you wish to restore to. Then drag the each new plug-ins clipping back to it's relevant channel.

Cheers

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp

Sean Kenny wrote:In the menu bar go to ... project/clippings/ .. and select... 'new digital performer clipping window'.....Then drag the each new plug-ins clipping back to it's relevant channel.
Thanks Sean, That worked! And I could drag all plugins for a track at a time.
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp wrote:
Sean Kenny wrote:In the menu bar go to ... project/clippings/ .. and select... 'new digital performer clipping window'.....Then drag the each new plug-ins clipping back to it's relevant channel.
Thanks Sean, That worked! And I could drag all plugins for a track at a time.
No probs .... Cheers

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

How about just using the "Save Insert Settings" option at the top of each channel? I think it does basically the same thing as saving a clipping, but it's all in one quick operation, and gives you a library of channel effect settings that you can recall just like other plugin presets.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

waitsongs wrote:How about just using the "Save Insert Settings" option at the top of each channel? I think it does basically the same thing as saving a clipping, but it's all in one quick operation, and gives you a library of channel effect settings that you can recall just like other plugin presets.
Save insert setting works really well
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

jbyerly1 wrote:
waitsongs wrote:How about just using the "Save Insert Settings" option at the top of each channel? I think it does basically the same thing as saving a clipping, but it's all in one quick operation, and gives you a library of channel effect settings that you can recall just like other plugin presets.
Save insert setting works really well
Does the same job alright .... I just find clippings window a little quicker cos you dont have to keep navigating to folders to find the clients folder in which the plugs are stored, you just drag and drop. If you don't use folders you have no way of organising the saved settings
edurbrow@sea.plala.or.jp

jbyerly1 wrote:Save insert setting works really well
I'm obviously misunderstanding part of the process. I see save insert settings and save it (to Desktop for experimental purposes). I move to another mixer channel and choose open insert settings. I navigate to the saved file and open it but nothing happens. The effects do not appear in that channel.

DP 7.2
Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

I believe you need to choose the saved settings from the drop down list of available settings rather than directly from the folder (the settings you just saved should have been added to the list). I've never tried saving to different folders, so I'm not sure what the procedure would be for that. Mine go to a folder called "Aux" by default. Hope that helps.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

As an experiment, I tried saving Insert Settings to a new folder on the desktop, and while I could see the saved settings clip in the folder, I couldn't get it to show up on the settings list or load from that desktop folder. Perhaps it just doesn't work from the desktop at all.