DP7.24 to DP8 any learning curve?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
KarlSutton
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP7.24 to DP8 any learning curve?

Post by KarlSutton »

I've got a big project coming up & the opportunity to use a new mac pro on it - so I was thinking about upgrading to DP8. There will be serious performance increases right? My main concern is that I can pretty much get up & running without having to learn a whole lot of new stuff in the software. Is everything pretty much where it was before?
MPB 17" 2.66 i7/8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8, DP 7.24, 828 mkII, Ethno 1 via Ultimate Soundbank, MX4, MSI, Komplete 9, Ivory, Stylus RMX.

for a time:MacPro6,1 3Ghz 8 core 32GB RAM
FMiguelez

Re: DP7.24 to DP8 any learning curve?

Post by FMiguelez »

Everything is pretty much the same. There are lots of new features, but you could ignore them if you want.

DP8.06 is being wonderful here.

Do not touch your system before making a bootable clone (i.e., with CCC), so in case something goes wrong, you can be back in business in minutes (instead of hours or even days otherwise).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Bowman

Post by Bowman »

Bounce to disk is now in the File menu.
iMac Intel Core i5 3.2ghz - 16gb RAM - OSX 10.10.5 - DP 9.01 - Mach Five 3.2.1 - Ethno Instrument 2.0.3 - Kontakt 5.4.3 - 4pre - 828 original - micro express
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

DP8 in 64 bit will give you an amazing performance increase if you add as much RAM as you can afford. My only advice is to consider whether you rely on any plugins that are still 32 bit, because you'll need to bridge them with either JBridge (VST), or 32Lives (au), and some of your old presets may not work after being bridged. (It may seem obvious, but I didn't realize at first that any of my audio unit plugins that I bridged with JBridge, which only uses VST versions of those plugins, couldn't use the old audio unit presets). Other than that, I can't think of any major learning curve going from DP7 to DP8.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....