Varispeed a finished track?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Varispeed a finished track?

Post by David Polich »

Tritonemusic wrote:
rosindabow wrote:
Dwetmaster wrote:Open nano sampler, put your soundbite in it, play with pitch bend. Voilà
That doesn't work. There's a marriage between the speed and pitch that the Varispeed does - as you speed it up the pitch rises commensurately. They need to be locked to each other so just using a pitch wheel - not gonna fly.
NanoSampler absolutely can do this. I've done it many times.
Have to agree. What is meant by "a percentage"? "as you speed it up the pitch rises commensurately" - what do you mean by that? This is exactly what a sampler can do.
Move the pitch bend wheel on your keyboard controller to change the pitch of the sample
in the sampler, by any "commensurate" value you want.

Really, dude. I've been programming synths and recording audio for over 30 years..very
familiar with the old Varispeed on analog tape machines. I don't get why you think the
same thing can't be accomplished with a sampler controlled by a keyboard pitch bend wheel.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

rosindabow wrote:Are you talking about MOTU's Machfive? This has a varispeed option? I own it - I've never looked for it there ...
Yes, check it out..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scz8Kh2C ... lAGnZ_Zfdw

The IRCAM time stretching/pitch shifting (or in your case, both), may possibly be the finest out there. I've used it with absolutely stellar results. Although I haven't used it for a varispeed type thing (where pitch and time move together like a tape machine), I have used it to change pitch and time, independently of one another. That's some serious power right there, bro.. light years beyond simple varispeed..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

OK they don't actually call it varispeed.. but, it does what you want.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Killahurts wrote:OK they don't actually call it varispeed.. but, it does what you want.
That's what I'm talking about!!! Way cool - very usable - gonna incorporate it into this project I'm on right now. Thanks!
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

:deadhorse:

(Sorry, Dead Mr. Ed.)

When we are talking about "varispeed" and digital audio we are simply talking about a playback sample rate conversion. The old akai samplers and K2xxx's use variable playback rates to transpose the samples. So playing back a sample that was recorded at 44.1K at a new rate of 88.2K or 22.05K would play the sample up or down an octave (respectively). The tempo & pitch are both affected by the rate. Other samplers (Ensoniq & others) use something called "drop/add" which achieved the pitch shifting by selectively leaving out samples or adding new ones in to achieve pitch control of the sample playback.

I was just experimenting with NanoSampler in DP8 and it would not let me drag the sample from the soundbites window directly onto the NS window. Had to manually load it via file browser. Once I got it loaded, I tried dragging a MIDI note event up and it crashed DP with a crash report window. Alas.

I was able to tell that dragging the original note up or down from C4 was a quick way to get the sample to varispeed to a specific new key. If a specific tempo was needed, it would need to be a combination of a MIDI note and a single pitch bend message at the value that achieved the correct tempo. It seems like it would be easy enough to trial & error that value by typing/tweaking values of the PITCH BEND value in the Event List window.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
I recently had to do something like this and here is what I did.
I calculated the needed sample rate change for the speed that I wanted. In my case I was transferring a 78 RPM record at 45 RPM (the fastest my turntable would go). I then went in and changed the sample rate (sound bites window). Select "Only change the file's recognized sample rate do not process the file's audio"
My original sample rate was 96 kHz so I multiplied 96 * 1.733 (78/45) = sample rate of 166399. I changed the header to that and then selected sample rate change again and had it convert the file to 96 kHz this time allowing the file to be processed. AND voila! a 96kHz file running at the proper speed and pitch. It worked perfect.

Just change the percent you need for the speed change you want and you are golden.

Pretty easy really and as transparent as any SRC your system does.

Don T
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Don T wrote:Hello,
I calculated the needed sample rate change for the speed that I wanted. In my case I was transferring a 78 RPM record at 45 RPM (the fastest my turntable would go). I then went in and changed the sample rate (sound bites window). Select "Only change the file's recognized sample rate do not process the file's audio"
My original sample rate was 96 kHz so I multiplied 96 * 1.733 (78/45) = sample rate of 166399. I changed the header to that and then selected sample rate change again and had it convert the file to 96 kHz this time allowing the file to be processed. AND voila! a 96kHz file running at the proper speed and pitch. It worked perfect.

Just change the percent you need for the speed change you want and you are golden.

Don T
5 years later, just the info I needed to complete a project. Thanks Don!

Carlos
Don T

Post by Don T »

csavetman wrote:
Don T wrote:Hello,

Don T
5 years later, just the info I needed to complete a project. Thanks Don!

Carlos

Wow, You are welcome....
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness