Varispeed a finished track?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Varispeed a finished track?

Post by rosindabow »

Hi all- I am trying to recreate an old effect that used to be readily available when mixing to a tape deck. To speed it up by some percentage. I want the pitch to raise as well. I know how to speed up the track without the pitch change but I definitely want the pitch to raise along with the speed. Is there a plugin that does this? Thanks.

Just a quick heads up - Logic X does this with ease. I have been a DP user since the very early days; Performer 2 (not Digital Performer) - not planning on going anywhere soon nor am I intentionally disparaging MOTU - it's just that I went into Logic to see if they had a solution and ended up with a simple and clear answer. It quite literally has an option in the control bar called Varispeed. Turn it up or down by percentage and out shoots your new mix. You do not even have to bounce in real time. Very cool.
DP - anything like this coming down the shoot soon?
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
stubbsonic

Re: Varispeed a finished track?

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm curious about this. What I currently do is open the mix in Audacity and use its Change Speed function which does this well. But in DP, I don't know.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Open nano sampler, put your soundbite in it, play with pitch bend. Voilà
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Dwetmaster wrote:Open nano sampler, put your soundbite in it, play with pitch bend. Voilà
That doesn't work. There's a marriage between the speed and pitch that the Varispeed does - as you speed it up the pitch rises commensurately. They need to be locked to each other so just using a pitch wheel - not gonna fly.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
crduval

Post by crduval »

rosindabow wrote:
Dwetmaster wrote:Open nano sampler, put your soundbite in it, play with pitch bend. Voilà
That doesn't work. There's a marriage between the speed and pitch that the Varispeed does - as you speed it up the pitch rises commensurately. They need to be locked to each other so just using a pitch wheel - not gonna fly.
I think it will fly - Pitch bend up will play back the sample faster which will both raise the pitch and speed of the sample - like speeding up a tape. Conversely pitch bend down will play the sample slower dropping the pitch and extending the time. Give it a try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

It does speed up and slow down - but as to the percentage, I'm just guessing. Plus I'm not sure what is being done to the file itself. I was hoping that there would be some program that would work with some type of dithering or at least attempt to keep the file as close to the original as possible. I'm not sure a pitch wheel does that. I guess for a rough idea of what it might sound like this will work. Still looking for something more like the old varispeed control on a tape machine ...
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

rosindabow wrote: Still looking for something more like the old varispeed control on a tape machine ...
My RME hardware does that..

Never tried it :wink:

But you know what's better than DP.. and logic.. and any varispeed dinosaur you could come up with?

Mach 5 (version 3).

Yeah it's money, but you want it to be good, don't you?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Are you talking about MOTU's Machfive? This has a varispeed option? I own it - I've never looked for it there ...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Killahurts wrote:
My RME hardware does that..
The thing with the RME clock is that you'd need an independent system to capture the audio once you jacked the clock.

Audacity is quick & easy and does percents. Sounds good, too. Just be sure to configure the settings for the level of quality you want. It will do it in a very high quality way.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

There is no "vari-speed" plugin available
for DP, as far as I know (could be wrong,
just havent met one yet). As for a method
of doing it in DP with MOTU native DSP
processing..not gonna happen.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

MachFive, and all samplers, can fine tune the pitch of a sample, which is identical to varispeed.

I have long wanted a simple offline process for varispeeding, or tuning, a soundbite in DP, but have always had to defer to ProTools for this offline process - although it seems this has disappeared in PT 11…. pitch shifting and time stretching gets more and more sophisticated and effective, but this basic need is always forgotten, and several extra steps are needed to get the desired result.

(I hope you-know-who isn't watching!)

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
doodles

Post by doodles »

without exporting to Ptools...

how about apple's AUPitch? Or Lexicon pitch shifter? Not in front of computer right now, so can't remember if these 2 would do the job?
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Hello all - still the best I've found recently was the Logic varispeed. Quite elegant ... made me take a look at Logic, something I haven't done in a serious way for quite some time. It was so easy and so well laid out, just change the percentage of the speed and presto, faster/slower and a bit higher or lower, depending on what you want. I'm not leaving DP any time soon ... too many other brilliant ways to record and manipulate audio. It would be nice, just sayin' ...
Last edited by rosindabow on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stephentayler wrote:MachFive, and all samplers, can fine tune the pitch of a sample, which is identical to varispeed.
This.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

rosindabow wrote:
NanoSampler absolutely can do this. I've done it many times.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4