Arturia announces new Vox Continental VI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Arturia announces new Vox Continental VI

Post by David Polich »

Arturia announced their upcoming Vox Continental V at Musikmesse this
week.

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html

No mention of release date but I'm guessing it will be sometime late April or
May.

There was no shortage of bitching and moaning from the know-nothings on Gearslutz and KVR and VI Control about Arturia's "pathetic" Wurlitzer V, but as far as I'm concerned that is the best Wurlitzer VI on the planet, so I expect that Vox Continental V will be just as stellar if not more so. Definitely on my short list of new VI's to get.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
BobK

Re: Arturia announces new Vox Continental VI

Post by BobK »

David Polich wrote:There was no shortage of bitching and moaning from the know-nothings on Gearslutz and KVR and VI Control about Arturia's "pathetic" Wurlitzer V, but as far as I'm concerned that is the best Wurlitzer VI on the planet, so I expect that Vox Continental V will be just as stellar if not more so. Definitely on my short list of new VI's to get.
I like their Wurly a lot too. I can't put my finger on anything specific. It just makes me want to keep playing.

I've never really been a big fan of the Continental sound, but if they do as good a job with it as with the Wurly (and offer a good intro deal for V-collection owners!) I might pick it up anyway. :D
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, the Continental hasn't aged well. In fact, I'm not sure it ever was received that well. Transistor organs have always sound tinny to me, and the Connie was always the most grating of them all. I'm not sure if it's anything inherent about the use of transistors over tone wheels, it surprises me that transistors haven't been able to really create thick complicated timbres that tone wheels tend to produce, after all, they're all pretty much producing the same sine waves. That said, it's always great to see fine emulations of old equipment. Kudos to Arturia once again.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You can't have too many of these:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=42603

Looks like it's still available.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

bayswater wrote:You can't have too many of these:

Yes, Martinic's Combo V (and Combo F) are great, and yes they're still free.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

When I read the detailed description last week, it sounded like it's going to do a lot more than Martinic's. The latter has the sound pretty close but has frustrated me a bit with its interface as it isn't as full-featured as his Farfisa emulation (which came later). Also, it looks like the Arturia will probably be able to cover a couple of other transistor models as well (not the Farfisa).

I agree about the Wurly; there have been some great sample libraries in the past few years, but the Arturia just makes me want to PLAY and keeps me smiling. There's a player connection with that VI that I can't put into words, so I have similar high hopes for the upcoming Connie.

I like the Connie more than the Farfisa because its reedy thinness makes it sit in the mix with no effort whatsoever. This is in stark contrast to the Hammond Organ, which is one of the hardest sounds to mix of all, without a lot of EQ, as it is so phat.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

This is also new from Arturia. Looks good.

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, I thought about posting news of the 88-key controller, but have been swamped at work and figured someone else would. Also, I wanted to wait until I had more info, but that's been hard to come by. Someone said it's one of the lesser Fatar actions. Not the cheapest, but one in the middle vs. something like on the Kurzweil PC3x.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
BobK

Post by BobK »

So far, no audio clips are posted at Arturia's site, but you can hear a couple of seconds of it in these videos from Musikmesse, the first one in English, the second one a separate demo in French.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3ad_6IouU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v27bHtK4oJA

Sounds good to me...
Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
BobK

Post by BobK »

It's out now.
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

David Polich wrote:
bayswater wrote:You can't have too many of these:

Yes, Martinic's Combo V (and Combo F) are great, and yes they're still free.
I can find only the Combo F at martinic.com - now in 64bit and updated as recently as 12/2013.

I last downloaded the ComboV v1.3.1 in 2013 but no longer see it on their site - or anywhere else.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

That's interesting, Mike. I wonder if he collaborated with Arturia to pull over the core of what he did into a more advanced commercial VI?

I'll see if I can drill into the application info file on mine as I installed it last night, and see if it hints at any relation to the Martinic VI.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yes indeed, there will probably be no more Martinic Vox product.

In the user manual for the Arturia, Theo Niessink (aka Martinic) is listed as one of the four sound designers.

I wonder if this means he will be commercializing the Farfisa under Arturia's brand soon as well?

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Now it all is making more sense. My first impression of Combo V was that it sounded very
close to Martinic's Combo V. Good reason for that, obviously.