MOTU LISTENS !!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MOTU LISTENS !!!

Post by Todzilla »

While we're all on the MOTU praisewagon, I'd like to say their user support has gone from crummy years ago, to very very strong. Both their online customer support tool and calling in for assistance have helped me immeasurably and promptly. Their support techs really know the product and have directed me quickly to solutions for issues seemingly beyond the otherwise capable knowledge of this forum.

I was having a DP issue piggy-backing a MOTU and Apogee interface. Apogee ignored me, MOTU stepped up where most vendors would blame the other guy.

I also am having a hard time thinking of substantive new features that would help me. This software is soooo feature rich. I'm glad I went with Performer 4.16 way back in the day, instead of the now defunct Opcode.
Last edited by Todzilla on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

I called DP support just a couple of days ago, and was amazed yet again not to hear a busy signal. For years I would call early in the morning. When speed-dial became available years ago, I increased my odds of getting through by calling repeatedly until I caught the line free. Now you get it first time!

But then I had to go and embarrass myself. I called because I'd spent an hour trying to figure out why the fade dialog had quit working. I'd been making end-fades all night, then suddenly it wouldn't work. Wouldn't open! Neither with the menu nor Control-F. I skimmed over the section on Fades in the manual, then finally called MOTU. We tried many files, throwing out prefs (which I'd already done), and various things. Finally he said "the only way I can make it happen is if I don't select over the end of the soundbite."

Big duuhhhh! That's when I realized I needed to go to bed. Somehow in my mind I had flipped it; I was avoiding selecting to the end of the soundbite. And the fade dialog won't even open if you do that. My goodness, that was embarrassing. Not only did I spend an hour on that, I had to go and make it public to MOTU (yeah, and now here).

Let's put this in perspective:

I've been making fades since DP version 1. I'd made dozens of fades just that night. Suddenly I couldn't do it. I've done some stupid things before, but that one pretty much tops the list. I mean, it's an END fade. You don't make an end fade unless you're at the end of the soundbite, right? Whatever could make one's brain suddenly think the opposite? Can a brain just suddenly go offline? Is there somewhere I could drop my brain off for repairs? Maybe I'll try this until it starts back up again:
:banghead:

I extend my apologies to MOTU's tech support for wasting their time. I may call them about once every two years. More if there are genuine bugs to report. But I've never called before when I was the one needing fixing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Shooshie wrote: Big duuhhhh! That's when I realized I needed to go to bed.

Shooshie
We all need to go to bed the minutes before those crazy things happens. I can't count the times I've done stuff like that!
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.