Can't get chan 1&2 to work on PCIe 424. 24io's X2 - RESOLVED

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
newageguitar
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can't get chan 1&2 to work on PCIe 424. 24io's X2 - RESOLVED

Post by newageguitar »

Really frustrated,
I never use the CueMix console as I have a 32 channel desk in line with 2 24io's but accidentally booted it up today. I updated my audio drivers today and all of a sudden I have no audio on 1&2 of 24io #1. I can select 1&2 as my default in/out and any other pair in the 24 available and everything works EXCEPT 1&2... that's a new issue..had no trouble until today.

You guys know better than me: could this be a CueMix problem, might I have something set wrong within that app. I really don't think one of my relatively new 24 io's has failed.

I know nothing about the CueMix console as I've never needed or use it..

Any help would be appreciated.
MacPro 8 Core 32 GB, MacPro Quad Core 2.66, 8 GB, 2xPCIe424, 2-96Khz 24io's 4-1224's MacBookPro Dual 2.66 i7 2-828 MK2. Allen & Heath GS-3000 32/8 console, eight tons of outboard gear etc. etc.
I appreciate your help.
newageguitar

Re: Can't get chan 1&2 to work on PCIe 424. 24io's X2

Post by newageguitar »

Gents I discovered what was wrong and sorry to have wasted your time but this could happen to someone else inadvertently, so I've posted.

I somehow mistakenly checked "Enable Volume Controls" in the PCI setup pane.
Don't ever do that !!!!!!!

My dilemma had nothing to do with CueMix at all.
MacPro 8 Core 32 GB, MacPro Quad Core 2.66, 8 GB, 2xPCIe424, 2-96Khz 24io's 4-1224's MacBookPro Dual 2.66 i7 2-828 MK2. Allen & Heath GS-3000 32/8 console, eight tons of outboard gear etc. etc.
I appreciate your help.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks for coming back and updating us! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Gents I discovered what was wrong and sorry to have wasted your time but this could happen to someone else inadvertently, so I've posted.
James Steele wrote:Thanks for coming back and updating us! :)
No kidding!
A Google search pulled me to this thread. I have no idea how but I, too, had that control switched suddenly on. Any track's output (in my case) set to 24I/O: Analog-A 1-2 except for the final bus was either almost inaudible or not there at all.

Seems to be corrected in a 24/48 file. Gonna check on the 24/44.1.

Thanks!!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Re: Can't get chan 1&2 to work on PCIe 424. 24io's X2 - RESO

Post by Shooshie »

Is that the control that allows you to use the computer's volume control to adjust the volume of the output tracks?

If so, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. Just Bring your computer's volume all the way up. Or select another device for the computer to use for output.

A shortcut for selecting computer output/input devices, if you have the Audio volume icon in the Menu Bar, is to Option-Click the Volume icon, whereupon a list of available I/O devices will appear. Click on the one you want. If you turn it off, volume will switch back to the last Apple audio option you used. For example, I normally play sound through my LED Apple Cinema Display. When I switch on the MOTU 896mk3, audio output automatically switches to it, then I turn on my E.A.R. monitors after the unit has booted up. Turn off the 896 (switch off monitors first), and sound reverts back to the LED Cinema Display.

Whichever device you're currently using will be under the control of the Apple volume control, either mousing the one on the menu bar, or using the keyboard commands.

When using the device for recording, playing or mixing audio, always set the Aapple volume controls for 100% gain, because you want your Mixing Board to do the work, and for DP to be responsible for what you hear and how you hear it. If the volume controls are bypassed with the check-box in the MOTU PCI Audio Interface, it will simply leave output volume at 100%, so instead of bypassing it, you can just make sure that every time you use DP, the output volume is set to 100%.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|