Nice DP organizing tip...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Nice DP organizing tip...

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

This morning a friend of mine stopped by, and while we were working on a DP thing, he noticed something that he loved about my Audio Bundles. I was surprised he was surprised because I think it's kind of obvious and probably most of you do it already, but in case you don't, I thought you may find it useful...

Instead of seeing this:

You can see this. Notice how much easier it is to at a glance find the things you need, thanks to the separation a "dummy bundle" allows...

This is what the Bundles window looks like too (easy to find your way around many bundles):

And since we don't have Chunk Folders, one can also organize chunks a little better with "dummy" ones to separate them, just like with the Bundles:

Hopefully this will help someone see and find things a little easier in DP.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Prime Mover

Re: Nice DP organizing tip...

Post by Prime Mover »

Lol, your tip really makes it simple... while your naming conventions give me an aneurism! What the heck? Glad my projects aren't that complicated.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Excellent idea, and no, it wasn't an obvious idea to me until I saw your topic, thanx.

Even things that seem obvious sometimes aren't, I guess even the wheel had to be thought up by someone originally.

Mind you, it would be better if MOTU gave us separators and (more) folders, but until then, this is a good way to do things.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I do that with clippings. It didn't occur to me to do it with bundles too (duh).
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by delcosmos »

Nice tip.
Gracias!
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Hey FM. Thats exactly how we do it! Except we have a macro to type ======. Older folks need double lines :) You young whippersnappers with the good eyes. :woohoo:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
frankf

Post by frankf »

+1 on never thought of this with bundles. I use "dummy" MIDI tracks as separators: color white, no name, or I/O assigns, track inactive. Helps me a lot with old eyes, labman.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Very good tip Thanks. I never thought of doing that.

Now if I could just take the time to work on that template... :)
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Very good tip Thanks. I never thought of doing that.

Now if I could just take the time to work on that template... :)
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
doodles

Post by doodles »

great tip! thnx!
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
MOTU_TechSupport

Post by MOTU_TechSupport »

Hey FMiguelez,

Nice tip! Mind if we use this as a Tip of the Day on our FaceBook page? Would really like to share this technique.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

FM, you are famous! :D
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Your 15 has arrived FM. Savor it!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Make sure they spell your name correctly.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Can I have your autograph? :koolaid:
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4